Progress to Date on SAC Formation & IFSA Affiliation

Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:09 pm

Hi

I am meeting with Pat Walsh of the Connaught Council and An Corraun SAC this coming Sunday in Westport and he wants to know what exactly we are looking for in terms of IFSA affiliation. Now I know that some of you have joined the newly formed Galway City SAC and good luck to all who sail in her etc. but I need to know from the regulars and in particular the people who have organised the friendly meets around the country what I should ask for?

Are there enough people here ready to fork out say 30-40 Euro for annual club membership for the year? Presumably for a new club? Would you want to run competitions and if so who is going to volunteer to help with the admin / run the competitions? How would we organise access to the IFSA master angler competitions? IFSA membership of any club will get you into every IFSA affiliated club open event.

An alternative (nothing has been discusssed) is to do a deal for associate or long distance membership (like they have with golf courses) of an existing IFSA club, e.g. Galway City or An Corraun SAC?

We could probably do a deal with some of the tackle manufacturers and/or tackle shops and get some sponsorship for the club, certainly I would be able to organise some prizes for competitions. We would probably be able to organise some "club" paraphenalia like fleeces and jackets with a club crest / logo etc. if you were interested in supporting the new club that way.

A club will require club officers - the famed committee. Who is up for it?
Time to step forward and be counted!

Above all, what do you want for yourselves?

Replies / a full discussion on this have to be be in by this Friday 8th January 2005 as I will not be available on the Saturday. Many thanks....
Last edited by kieran on Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:53 pm

having a think on this one. will reply soon.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:15 pm

Hi Kieran,
I'd definitely be up for joining some sort of affiliated club, mainly for fishing boat competitions in the good weather - according to the brother I'm made of sugar and start dissolving in the rain.

As for the likes of t-shirts , fleeces etc. I just got ours made for the company, embroidered logos etc. all done by a local company, and very reasonable. Also gets cheaper the more you order. I can send you on a Procast Polo if you want to see what they are like. (nothing like a bit of self promotion !! :wink: )

I'd get involved in whatever way I could but like many, work, married life and a mini-me would limit it a bit - like it did the fishing !! :(

Give me a shout any evening after 7 and I'll have a natter with you if you want.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:38 pm

Hello Kieran
I have heard critism of the I.F.S.A. People think they can do better, if so good luck to them. I saw this year that after years of griping a man stood up and grasped the nettle and became the new Press officer for the I.F.S.A. I some one feels he or she can do better attend the meetings and put yourself forward for office.
Boat clubs are practically defunked due to the cost and the lack of registered boats. That is no fault of the I.F.S.A. The Government brought in these regulations.
The insurance provided for shore angling by the I.F.S.A. is second to none.
From what I can see the clubs affiliated to the I.F.S.A can keep their competition prices at a low limit. while other federations would cost an arm and a leg to take part in a competition.
Aclub only runs well when members are prepared to put the efford in. We all now that eventually there will be a hard core of members who will run the club, the usuall is you are doing a great job, stay there. I( know this may not be a great way to run a club, but at least it runs
GOOD LUCK.
Dingbat

Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:10 pm

Kieran,

Count me in for membership and I'll help anyway I can.

Cheers,

Donal.

Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:20 pm

if i can help in anyway i will Kieran. best of luck with it and many thanks for making the effort.

IFSA affiliation

Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:31 am

Hi

Had a quick chat with Pat Walsh in the Westport Hotel before their meeting and the bottom line is that (a) it will cost a minimum of 420 EUR to start a club for aq minmum of 12 members and pro-rata after that for extra members and (b) once the application forum is submitted it goes to a general meeting of the council to see if the decision is acceptable to the members.

Do we have 12 disciplines willing to stump up say 50 EUR each per annum, and some equally willing to do a bit of administration etc. ? Failing this I think the best I can do is to list all the IFSA affiliated clubs and contacts here...

RSVP

Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:16 pm

Count me in Kieran. I'll join up and let me know what administration I can help out with.

Donal.

Club

Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:45 pm

Thanks Don, MB3, H Rocks

Unfortunately that only makes 4 people ready to sign up and put their omney where.... etc, which would cost a cool 100-150 EUR each!

It really is a case of the more the merrier - if we got 20 people, we could do this for 40 Euro each and have money for a few prizes etc.

When I started this process some time back, there were loads of people!
Where are they all gone?

ifsa membership

Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:23 pm

Kieran,

I suspect like a good few people that post, i am already a member of an IFSA affiliated club.

Scara.
Last edited by scara on Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:23 pm

I thought I had posted before, but I must have messed up. Count me in too.

Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:35 pm

Me too!!

Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:41 pm

me 2 kieran.
john

Affiliation

Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:14 pm

Hi

OKay, throw in my brother and by my reckoning that is now 8.
Come on then, four more brave souls needed.
Say 50 Euro a head and if the club get bigger, any reduction in costs will be passed on. I will start looking for some nice bits and bobs from sponsors.

RSVP

Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:36 pm

Hi Kieran,
Although I will probably never fish a comp in my life, count me in!
If you could count me out of admin, I'd appreciate it as I am running two sailing clubs at the moment!!!!!!
Cheers
JK

Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:01 pm

I'll also help on out some admin-God knows I have to spend enough time in front of a computer anyway for the next few months (at least) :(

Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:25 am

Kieran, Count the brother David in as well.
Cheers,
Conor.

Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:52 am

Kieran

Can I be the first overseas member please? Yoyo's at the ready!

Tim

Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:11 am

Hi,

I'm in too.

I haven't fished a competition since I was 12 so it should be good craic, and I'm sure we'll all learn plenty of new tricks. Would be nice to be part of a club again too.

Would also be willing to offer my services on the admin side.

affiliation

Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:40 am

Right then...

Looks like we have enough.... I will work on the submission to the IFSA and see what the story is... My understanding is that the list is as follows:

myself
the brother des (although he does not know it yet!)
h rocks
his brother david (d rocks for short!)
Don
IDPearl
M.b3
Brenballs
JD
JFKIreland
Tim (first international member :D )
Steve O'Hanlon

Did I miss anyone?
This is the minimum 12 members needed to start a club.

Now I need a club chairman and club secretary. Any volunteers?

We also need a treasurer too who would be prepared to do the necessary collection of fees etc... For reasons of transparency I do not want to put this money through the business i.e. website. Accountant would kill me. Anyone been a treasurer before, if not I can supply training materials on financial regulation of small clubs (and if necessary a bit of training itself).

We also need delegates who will attend the IFSA provincial meetings... initially there should be two delegates and a reserve. I am not sure whether we would need to nominate one province or whether we could attend one or other... best perhaps to ask to link to one province for the moment and not ask the IFSA to bend too many of their rules to let us in!

The cost is 110 Euro for Affiliation, 130 Euros for insurance and 20 Euro per person (senior) and 5 Euro per junior. That is 240 Euro + 20 per person. At the minimum of 12 members, that is 240 + 240 = 480 Euro.
Obviously the more members, the cheaper the membership will be but at the moment, it is looking like 40 Euro per person for starters and I would recommend a further 10 Euro per person for club administrative costs.

50 Euro. Anyone any thoughts on this?

I will see what we can do about getting some sponsorship and nice bits and pieces for the new members of the club. BTW, what is it called!?!

RSVP