SAI Reef Meet, Carrigaholt, 27/4/8 -

Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:05 pm

This thread is to collect the names of Club Members for a reef fishing boat trip the
day after the Cashen Estuary, Ballybunion shore competition. The idea
is to come across on the car ferry and be ready for a boat trip the
next morning. The boat booked is the Clare Dragoon. I'm starting the
thread early so I can book a second boat if needed. To organise it
fairly I'll pm you looking for a 50 euro deposit to reserve a place on
the trip.

Report from last year is at ... hp?t=11448

Bill Ryan is a shore fishing guide from the area and also ... n_2007.htm
Bill has 51 Irish Specimen Fish Awards, you might have seen him on
Wild Fishing with Henry Gilbey.

He has offered to sponsor a specimen competition on the day with a
prize of a guided shore trip. For the specimen competition the points
for each fish are a percentage of the speciment weight, so an 11 pound
pollack would be 11x100/12=92 points, the best three species to count,
one fish per species.

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:25 am


Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:45 pm

We have a sponsor-see above!

Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:42 am

If this goes ahead I'd take a spot

Blue Dragoon

Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:21 pm

Sounds like a good idea.Just talked to Marco, count him in aswell so thats two more. talk to you

Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:33 am

we have definately in

jw jd ferg

marco are you coming? blaker is out i think

so that leaves 3 more spaces if anyone interested in a boat trip?

Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi John,

Will take one of those places. Will send deposit tomorrow.


Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:15 pm

ok steve dont worry about the deposit

we have 5 definates now

jd jw ferg marco steve,

still one more place


Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:51 pm


to get to carrigaholt from ennis follow directions for kilrush, then kilkee, then carrigaholt.

drive straight through the village up a hill past a church. The next left leads
down to the castle and the pier where the boat departs. to get to b&b don't
take this left, instead keep going a few hundred yards, right at b&B sign
another few hundred yards, right at b&B sign, you will see a large Dark red building.

in the morning just retrace your steps and take a right down to the castle just before the village. fairly small place you won't get too lost
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:15 am

there are plenty of mackerel about no need to bring frozen; also shoals of herring

have to wait and see what the weather will do now

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:20 am

jw wrote:have to wait and see what the weather will do now

At the moment it's looking like force 5 dropping to 4 in the pm. and coming from the southwest - light showers.

Any idea on when Luke will make a call on this?

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:46 am

its hard to call it this far out as the forecast changes regularly; i would
guess 48 hours in advance we might have a fairly definate yes or no

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:56 am

BTW kev is a maybe for this too.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:18 am

just phoned skipper of boat and it looks like the weather will be ok for reef fishing sunday.

at last a boat trip!

Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:24 am

meet on pier at 8:30 for 9:00 departure