Fishing on a boat in clew Bay>?

Sea Angling Ireland SAC was set up by users of the site in 2005.

Moderator: Don

Postby NLawlor » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi,I dont know alot about fishing and my brother is really good and he sometimes brings me out but i want to show him a thing or two and get some inside information...what would be the best bait to use to cath sea trout off the boat,he thinks he knows everything so it would be good if i could prove him otherwise
NLawlor

Postby fishermannum1 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:14 pm

:D apart from spining and just useing bait, i would only use sprats, small strip of mag: or sandeels, But sandeels would be my first try,sandeel mounted on a small treble with very little weight,just enought to make the cast,an a very slow retrive.works for me :D if fishing from a boat try an get live sandeels,they work a lot better :D
as ole rab c said " see me' see the sea' i love the sea me"
right i'am off for a swally!!!!!!! so were's the F***'n purse!!!!!!!
fishermannum1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 31 times

sea trout off Achill

Postby kieran » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:18 pm

Hi NL

Try a small silver Mepps spinner, like you might use for perch in coarse fishing, just make sure to spray it with WD40 after use to stop the rust!

Not so sure about the slow retrieve on a silver lure, I find ripping them in across the water can work really well for sea trout, especially in shallower ground where the trout are likely to sense the disturbance more... and sandeel is definitely number 1 bait. Failing this a strip of mackerel belly.

FWIW
Kieran Hanrahan

Time spent fishing is never time wasted...

2015 targets - a triggerfish, a specimen bass, a three bearded rockling to complete the set and something big and toothy from certain north Mayo deep water marks
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Sea Angling Ireland SAC