SAI Bluefin Expedition, Downings, Saturday 29/9/7

Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:48 pm

I'm starting this thread to get the names ready for this trip. Please post here if you are coming. I see the bluefin were spotted in the water by a downings charter boat on 26th August, so maybe we have a chance. After consultation with the skipper, we will decide whether to give it a go or have a conventional boat trip.

The website for the boat we have booked is http://www.rosguill.com/ Michael McVeigh

I think petekd can't make it, so we have jw and jd so far.

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:44 pm

Would love to, but I'm abroad. :(

Good luck with the trip, tho'.

billy no mates

Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:31 pm

lads in anyone interested in this or am i going to be like billy no mates all on my own on a 43 foot aquastar? Looks like a nice bit of weather on the way, as far as one can tell this far ahead.

I don't mind whether it's conventional fishing or blue fin. The poor old blue fins must really be in trouble if the European Commision has finally closed the commercial fishery :roll: Still by supporting a catch and release tourism venture, you're helping a conservation lobby in some tiny way.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:04 pm

im actually going up on my own to Donegal Saturday to try for a blue fin. The skipper advises that it would be useful to have someone to help turn the chair, so if you are interested in a free trip out of Donegal on a beautiful calm day (hopefully) send me a pm.
Not sure exactly how much work is invovled?

27 September - Rosguill working off Downings - saw several large splashes 1.5 miles away - probably Tuna but not conclusive - also marked on sounder what was probably a pod of Tuna, but again not conclusive

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:17 pm

Wish i could john but baby due monday rules that out as im banned from being leaving the county.....! Best of luck mate and im sorry you got saddled on your own with that. Youll have a lot of us cursing if you get a bluefin to the boat....! Best of luck with it anyhow.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:17 pm

Wish i could john but baby due monday rules that out as im banned from being leaving the county.....! Best of luck mate and im sorry you got saddled on your own with that. Youll have a lot of us cursing if you get a bluefin to the boat....! Best of luck with it anyhow.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:40 pm

thanks pete

good luck with the baby.

Blue fin is probably a long shot, but i'll give it a shot anyway. Should be interesting to see the techniques

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:47 pm

I'm sorry I can't be up there, but quite a few things impinged against me.

Best of look John - I hope you get one..
jd

Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:14 am

gawd, of all the luck! I live only 6 or 7 miles away from Downings across the Bay, and I'm missing out on a freebie tuna hunt cos I'm currently half-way around the world!

feckin in-laws! :evil: