SAI Shark Expedition 25/8/7 Clare Dragoon, Carrigaholt

Sea Angling Ireland SAC was set up by users of the site in 2005.

Moderator: Don

SAI Shark Expedition 25/8/7 Clare Dragoon, Carrigaholt

Postby jw » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:24 pm

MEN WANTED: FOR HAZARDOUS JOURNEY. SMALL WAGES, BITTER COLD, LONG MONTHS OF COMPLETE DARKNESS, CONSTANT DANGER,
SAFE RETURN DOUBTFUL.
HONOUR AND RECOGNITION IN CASE OF SUCCESS :lol:

This is to get organised for the shark trip 25th August departing
Carrigaholt. We have the best boat of the fleet
http://www.fishandstay.com/boat/ booked. Details of the venue
have already been posted at
http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... 73&start=0

Report of the tope fishing on clare dragoon is at
http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... hp?t=12297

The deal available from the skipper is we have booked the
boat for the day at a cost of 480 euros. Weather permitting we go
after shark, otherwise its general reef fishing. You know yourself the
climate. It might be a bouncy ride.

The correct number for this is four rods at 120 euro each.
Four have already put their money on the table jd jw petekd and Mr_Green,
so thats one boat full. If others are serious about this trip post here and commit to paying up the money and we will try and get a second boat. We better be quick though
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby Mr_Green » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:21 pm

like i said b4..im in as long as we have 4 people... im streching it at the min for this so the extra just isnt an option if one drops out...
Mr_Green

Postby jw » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:34 pm

Dave,
everyone agrees with that. If I have to pull out i'll either get a replacement or pay my share.

Pete, do you dare to use that posh uptide rod? I'd say they would smash it on you
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Postby petekd » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:35 am

I was thinking of using my 12' Abu Premium boat match rod actually.... :D No fish will smash you if you have enough line and decent drag set. On saying that, I dont fancy trying to tackle an angry blue shark on the TDXU which is like a jumped up spinning rod, might have to step up in class for that alright.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby ROADRUNNER » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:09 pm

petekd wrote:I was thinking of using my 12' Abu Premium boat match rod actually.... :D No fish will smash you if you have enough line and decent drag set. On saying that, I dont fancy trying to tackle an angry blue shark on the TDXU which is like a jumped up spinning rod, might have to step up in class for that alright.

Hi Pete that is true BUT when fishing for Shark it is a good practice to take the other rods out of the water when a angler is playing a fish as the have a tendency to swim around all the other lines :cry:

Now put yourself in there shoes and imagine how you would feel having to stop fishing when the shark's are around the boat because some git is playing a fish on light gear and taking a lifetime to land a fish :?:

I'm all for light Tackle but it has a time and a place and a Comp isn't the right time for it :cry:

Cheers Danny
ROADRUNNER

Postby petekd » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:20 pm

some git
:?: :?: :evil:

Read the post ...

I dont fancy trying to tackle an angry blue shark on the TDXU which is like a jumped up spinning rod, might have to step up in class for that alright

Danny, its not a comp, its a meet and there will be just 4 of us aboard a large vessel. Remarks about TDXUs and boat match rods are made tongue in cheek. I am well capable of playing a fish properly and swiftly on light gear but thanks for the advice anyway. I don't think anyone has the intention of holding up others for inordinate periods of time.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Mr_Green » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:49 pm

Did ye ever see that youtube vid of alan hannah,the northern guy..playing a blue on a pike rod lol...its funny, but he does it lol... i always love to fish light, feel the fish and get a better scrap, but in this sort of situation Im goin 2 evenly match the beast...20-30lb is what im thinking.... What sort of trace are ye guys putting 2gether for this 1?
Mr_Green

Mike thrussels advice

Postby bigkev » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:07 pm

I quite rate Mike thrussel's advice on other species.
He has a few good pointers on trace making etc
http://www.worldseafishing.com/boat/beg ... hark.shtml
bigkev
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby jw » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:38 pm

from

http://www.seafishingireland.net/shark.htm

An alternative method to traditional bait fishing is fly fishing for Blue Shark. Rudy Van Duijnhoven got the first European fly caught Blue in 1997 aboard Bluewater. It's really exciting form of fishing as you must attract the fish right to the boat so as you can see your quarry.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Marco » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:17 pm

JW,

I am in.
SAI SAC
FISH - an animal that grows the fastest between the time it’s caught and the time the fisherman describes it to his friends.
Marco
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 56 times

blue sharks

Postby jw » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:49 pm

i see from the web site that 4 blue sharks were caught on a trip in early august

http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/gui ... n_2007.htm
jw
SAI Megalodon!

blue shark

Postby bigkev » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:48 pm

I see they were broken at the side of the boat
Must have been that 30lb mono ! :twisted:

Sorry, just being mischievous :lol:

Kev
bigkev
SAI Hammerhead

Postby jw » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:56 am

i do think 30lb class is the best tackle for these blues, which are quite small really and not nearly as strong as ten big horses.

Found this brilliant site on shark tackle for mako 500 - 1000lb in weight, including the following advice

keep the mako off the stern quarter at least 75 yards. That way if it charges the boat from a distance you can usually deflect the mako with the prop blast as you make a run for it. They are much faster than the boat and you need the prop blast to confuse and deflect them
....and.....
When Capt. Billy Verbanas, a well-known Delaware offshore fishing captain at Indian River Inlet, was yanked from his charter boat into 7,000 feet of water by a mako shark and drowned 12 days ago, it called to mind a similar incident off North Carolina in 1994 when billfishing mate Chris Bowie of Lisbon, Md., was pulled overboard by a blue marlin and dragged under, never to be seen again

http://www.newenglandsharks.com/fightin ... y_mako.htm
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Jumping mako

Postby bigkev » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:14 pm

That amzing shot of a 10 foot mako 20 feet in the air is the most amazing photograph
Quite put me off fishing for them
From now on, its blues and porgies only! :shock:
bigkev
SAI Hammerhead

Postby jw » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:08 pm

i have spoken to the skipper on this one. His advice is:-

as far as one can tell this far out weather should be ok

5 should be ok if experienced anglers who know to reel in quickly if a shark takes so someone gets the benefit of landing it, so there's a place for you Marco if it suits

garfish can be caught there, and good chance of specimen sized whiting in 90m

minimum 40lb mono. Braid can be weakened by the gulls tangling or balloon rubbing it and is not recommended

ideally we should show up with a box of mackerel and all associated juices to save our precious sharking time. Ive arranged to buy this for 20 euros.
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Postby jw » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:49 am

marco has changed his mind, but we have a bird watcher who wishes to share the charter but not fish, so we have four anglers and cost split between five.
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Postby petekd » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:11 am

:D You could put another half dozen non angling bird watchers on willing to share the cost if you want John.... :wink:
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby ROADRUNNER » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:27 am

Best of luck lads and i hope ye land the BIG one :lol:

Headn to Cork with BAI for a 2 day Shark meet so it will be interesting to see how we all get on.

Tight Lines

Danny
ROADRUNNER

Postby petekd » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:30 am

Good luck Danny, hope both sides of the country see a few fish. Don't fancy trying to nobble Gars all day to pass the time.... I'm nipping out tonight in the Orkney for a box of macks. When you making it down?
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby ROADRUNNER » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:41 am

Heading off in an hour or so and stayn for the wknd in Cobh :lol: 8) :lol:

How long will it take to drive down Pete ??
ROADRUNNER

Next

Return to Sea Angling Ireland SAC