Clonea Preliminary Post Match Analysis

Sea Angling Ireland SAC was set up by users of the site in 2005.

Moderator: Don

Postby KK » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:23 pm

I never wana see clonea again!!!
KK
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby jw » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:40 am

KK wrote:I never wana see clonea again!!!

what the hell happened.....i see nobody could bear to write a report
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby teacher » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:00 pm

jw wrote:
KK wrote:I never wana see clonea again!!!

what the hell happened.....i see nobody could bear to write a report

A fish-to-angler ratio of about 1:3. :(
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby petekd » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:51 pm

PC has been knackered with various problems this week, hence no report. Sorry lads, but theres not a lot to be said about it really other than we wont be back there any time soon..... :D Fish ratio of 1:3 probably about right, 22/23 anglers fished, 5 caught I think 8 counters in total. Nuff said.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Clonea

Postby Stan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:34 pm

It is silly to make comments like" I never want to see Clonea again". I fish the bass beaches a lot. There is never a guarantee of fish. It is either bass ( and maybe flounders plus the odd cod) or nothing.

Last year, as usual , I brought some friends to a venue near Ardmore. I had 5 bass plus about 70 other coalies and flats. All would have counted in a competition on the east coast. Everyone had lots of fish.

The next weekend I brought another few lads to Clonea where we met Cortaz. They were all hyped up. The surf was perfect. In fact we should have been guaranteed fish. The tide was perfect. The results.....zilch!!

The comment afterwards from one of the lads was the same. ...."not coming back to this kip again!!!!"

If you want good bass fishing you work for it. My sons will not bass fish as they are not prepared to blank.

Cortaz fishes regularly. He does blank. ......occasionally.

I can bring anybody to a place where they are guaranteed fish but this is not the case with bass. You can haul in wrasse and pollock from some of the rock marks. Some of the beaches will give you endless dogs. None of the beaches will give you guaranteed bass.

Travel to Kerry for wonderful surf and fantastic bass. Suddenly they deicde not to feed for a week or two and you catch nothing. This does not mean that the beaches are not worth a second try. I know as I have done this.

Having spent a lot of my youth fishing in west Waterford I may be biased. However, I think that if you are willing to put in the time you will be rewarded with bass fishing that cannot be matched.

It is called fishing and not catching.

Spell check not working so ignore the errors!!!
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 277 times

Postby fishinmidget » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:38 pm

im fairly sure its one of those things that he said but he didnt really mean stan :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:edited: didnt make it clear what i was saying :oops:
Last edited by fishinmidget on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SACN number: 0688

Le rosbif......
fishinmidget
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 36 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby KK » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:17 pm

Ah no its a nice place and by what ive heard a brillent bass beach with the right conditions, alot of work went in to going down there getting bait, rigs and travelling but just one of those days where the fish werent playing ball, and the weather didnt help!!! "I never wana see Clonea again"
Just a Phrase to explain a bad fishing session. Nothing silly about it.(its silly to take it up wrong) Thats just how fishing is if ya caught loads of fish every session that would take the fun out of it.
KK
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby teacher » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:32 pm

I've split this from alby's Wexford catch report. We're going OT.
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby donal domeney » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:05 am

Clonea what a peach of a beach. I'll fish it any day :lol: :lol:
The moral of the story:
:idea: :idea: Daddy fish tells baby fish not to go into shallow water when the sun is shining and the sea is calm because the great big seagull will see you and eat you up. :x :x :x
Had nearly forgotten this story, must have been too much sun on the day.
Result 2 fish (1 dog; 1 bass) a long way out in deep dark water. Lads welcome south the home of real fish 8) 8) 8)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Mr_Green » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:11 am

:lol: I think i told about 5 or 6 people where to cast for the bass...Way out past the 130 mark....no one casted out like i said :shock: :shock: But i musnt have told donal..He just knew 8)
Mr_Green

Postby Al » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:47 am

Mr_Green wrote::lol: I think i told about 5 or 6 people where to cast for the bass...Way out past the 130 mark....no one casted out like i said :shock: :shock: But i musnt have told donal..He just knew 8)

Thats true but i think you told me 300 yards :lol:
Al
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 112 times

Postby Mr_Green » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:13 am

:oops: im a pessimistic person... :lol:
Mr_Green

Postby MAC » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:09 pm

I had great fun Pendulum casting a range of Baits to 150 yards or so. Didn't have a touch at range. Managed my one and only flounder in very close on Maddies tipped off with a white.

Every year, we as a club are asked to put a comp on a Bass Venue or somewhere where our members have a decent shot at a Bass. Personally it's nice to have something other that flatties to target, but when the weather doesn't play ball you get days like that.

Rest assured that the Committee will be having a long hard think about this type of venue and what can be done in the future to give our members a shot at a Bass and also to try avoid this many blanks.

I think a few lessons were learned and as a young club we are still learning all the time. We'll take it on board boys and do our best to avoid putting our members in the same situation again.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby petekd » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:17 pm

Spent too long myself fishing baits in tight in the midst of all the crappy stuff. With hindsight, wellying baits out should have been the order of the day but it was hard to stop fishing in tight when for the first few hours at least, the few fish that had been caught were flats and were in close. The one time I opted for a sandeel, which I absolutely milled out a hell of a long way (16 ft rod, 12lb line.... :D ) from the top of the bank it came back with the end chewed off. At the time I put it down to crabs but it was probably a doggie having a munch. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, any large lug baits I smashed out came back untouched, should have stuck with the doggie hunt.

Next time..... Next time....
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby teacher » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:34 pm

A few of us fished lures and bait at Helvick Head and the Cunnigar on Sunday. The fishing was very poor, possibly because the pressure was dropping as the current bad weather moved in. Whatever the reason, I only managed one small schoolie on Sunday evening on lugworm. I saw one bream and one (or two?) other bass caught on Sunday.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby KK » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:41 pm

I think the weather was the main factor for the poor fishing, flat calm and low pressure moveing in. the committee cant control the weather just one of those things that happens alot when ya go fishing!!!
KK
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Seaniebo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:15 pm

I can control the weather. But I am evil
I require a tremendous amount of calcium

http://www.saisac.org/
Seaniebo
Unstoppable....

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby Pat Spillane » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:05 pm

Things didnt improve over the next few days, Fished Helvic with Cortaz on Monday, the weed was bad and he reckoned that the water was too coloured. We cut it short, I went back to Clonee but there were lots of surfers there so had a few pints instead. The wind was driving a big surf onto the beach on tuesday and lots of weed, Cunnigar was covered in the stuff too (worse than Sunday). I ended with just an eel for my trouble. To be honest I was a bit pi..ed off but I will be back in July when I get a few days off, providing the wind is right.
The Martini angler:- Anyfish anywhere anytime
Pat Spillane
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby donal domeney » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:17 am

I've gone through old posts re the clonea comp it's seems the omens were out there, local anglers JP said hit and miss venue with one fish to win it. Kraken said best fished into darknes. Now before you start flexing your typing finger this is a hindsight view point and I'm not knocking the commtte for picking it. I know Petekd is off line at the moment but reports are important even when fishing is bad, anglers have to know where they went wrong. I've blanked at Kilary and Mullaghmore and will learn from that.
I, like everyone else stayed in close at the "scratching" thing. Gave up after three and a half hours of nothing tried pluging and spinning for about 20 minutes at this stage there was 4/5ft of water in front of me same old story. Then back to the old system clipped down pully loaded with crab wrapped with lug and horsed (Cork slang) it as far as I could put it 170 + yds. I fished peg 2 next to the slip not sure how exact the position of the other anglers who caught fish were but at a guess, Sean peg 7 a dog at about 150yds, JP who finished second but unsure what he caught (was changing a tyre when the prizes were been given out) and with Steve and Mac close to the peg 11 - 12. these pegs at 1 fish a piece. JP, Steve and Mac had flounder and were all caught in close
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby MC » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:11 pm

well i fished as well as i could, used different combos of bait, cast close and increased distance ( cant get over 125yds loaded with bait) and got one bite about 8.15pm on plain peeler at my best distance, tried a doggie hunt but not a bite, different rigs, not a bite and then used coloured beads floating beads and guess what no bites. But i don't blame the choice of venue or who choose it, surf beaches are like that and if you add in the fact that a depression was heading our way it could put the fish off, also it was very bright and it doesn't help on shallow venues, now that said i did learn a few things, but the most important was not to use cool bags without checking them cause one wee hole and defrosting squid to stink up the car
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 383 times

Return to Sea Angling Ireland SAC