Competiton Help?

Wed May 16, 2007 9:39 am

Lads i was just thinking there, is there any rule against using lures during a competetion? i mean it would still comply with the 3 hook rule....

comp

Wed May 16, 2007 9:43 am

as far as i know if a lure has a treble on it it is classed as your 3 hooks

fintan

Wed May 16, 2007 9:49 am

Nope, no rule against it. You'll have to use just one treble on any plugs, etc. In the UK they allow multiple trebles on lures for comps, but not here.

I might try this myself during the waterford/cork comps ;)

Wed May 16, 2007 10:02 am

always have a few lures in the box where i have replaced the trebles with 3 size 1s just in case i ever wind up fishinig a comp in an area where the bass are around. also bring a few red gills just in case theres a few pollack about

Wed May 16, 2007 10:06 am

Who in the UK allows 3 trebles in place of 3 singles ?? I've not heard of any UK comps allowing that, neither do the Americans, on or offshore.

Tom.

Wed May 16, 2007 10:22 am

Rockhopper wrote:Who in the UK allows 3 trebles in place of 3 singles ?? I've not heard of any UK comps allowing that, neither do the Americans, on or offshore.

Hi Tom. I came across it on the NFSA website, under their "Match Pack" rules for Shore Competitions:

S 3 Terminal Tackle. Spare baited traces are allowed and no more than three hooks may be attached to any trace. A treble hook counts as one hook but no more than one treble hook and two single hooks may be used in a rig, with the exception of plug type spinning lures which are permissible when used alone.

[url]http://www.nfsa.org.uk/teamcomp/comp_fest/matchpack/nfsarules.htm[/url]

Wed May 16, 2007 11:21 am

On plugs only perhaps, I've never known or heard of anyone using a plug in a shore comp.....I knew the rule on Trebles counting as one hook on a trace, as most do.

Are you looking to spin a plug off the shore in a comp Jon ?

Tom.

Wed May 16, 2007 11:33 am

Rockhopper wrote:Are you looking to spin a plug off the shore in a comp

Would depend on location, maybe on the Waterford or Cork comps. Our rules would allow one treble or, as paul suggested, replace the trebles with singles. I was thinking that it might be a worthwhile tactic to have a couple of casts between casts with the beachcaster, if there are signs of bass around.