Competiton Help?

Sea Angling Ireland SAC was set up by users of the site in 2005.

Moderator: Don

Competiton Help?

Postby Mr_Green » Wed May 16, 2007 9:39 am

Lads i was just thinking there, is there any rule against using lures during a competetion? i mean it would still comply with the 3 hook rule....
Mr_Green

comp

Postby croppyboy » Wed May 16, 2007 9:43 am

as far as i know if a lure has a treble on it it is classed as your 3 hooks

fintan
Shore Species 2020 lsd flounder hound

New species 2020
Boat species 2020
New Boat species 2020
Specimans 2020
croppyboy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby teacher » Wed May 16, 2007 9:49 am

Nope, no rule against it. You'll have to use just one treble on any plugs, etc. In the UK they allow multiple trebles on lures for comps, but not here.

I might try this myself during the waterford/cork comps ;)
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby paulocallaghan » Wed May 16, 2007 10:02 am

always have a few lures in the box where i have replaced the trebles with 3 size 1s just in case i ever wind up fishinig a comp in an area where the bass are around. also bring a few red gills just in case theres a few pollack about
paulocallaghan

Postby Rockhopper » Wed May 16, 2007 10:06 am

Who in the UK allows 3 trebles in place of 3 singles ?? I've not heard of any UK comps allowing that, neither do the Americans, on or offshore.

Tom.
Rockhopper

Postby teacher » Wed May 16, 2007 10:22 am

Rockhopper wrote:Who in the UK allows 3 trebles in place of 3 singles ?? I've not heard of any UK comps allowing that, neither do the Americans, on or offshore.

Hi Tom. I came across it on the NFSA website, under their "Match Pack" rules for Shore Competitions:

S 3 Terminal Tackle. Spare baited traces are allowed and no more than three hooks may be attached to any trace. A treble hook counts as one hook but no more than one treble hook and two single hooks may be used in a rig, with the exception of plug type spinning lures which are permissible when used alone.

[url]http://www.nfsa.org.uk/teamcomp/comp_fest/matchpack/nfsarules.htm[/url]
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Rockhopper » Wed May 16, 2007 11:21 am

On plugs only perhaps, I've never known or heard of anyone using a plug in a shore comp.....I knew the rule on Trebles counting as one hook on a trace, as most do.

Are you looking to spin a plug off the shore in a comp Jon ?

Tom.
Rockhopper

Postby teacher » Wed May 16, 2007 11:33 am

Rockhopper wrote:Are you looking to spin a plug off the shore in a comp

Would depend on location, maybe on the Waterford or Cork comps. Our rules would allow one treble or, as paul suggested, replace the trebles with singles. I was thinking that it might be a worthwhile tactic to have a couple of casts between casts with the beachcaster, if there are signs of bass around.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Sea Angling Ireland SAC