Re: Mullaghmore

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:27 am

kieran wrote:Just a thought, that beaches produces a fair number of sea trout and yet they are not allowed, similar to mackerel. Should we look at this,

I'm not so sure this would be a good idea. It could result in the MA series at the end of the year being decided by a trout!
jd

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:17 am

I think Kieran has a fair point in that to be honest, I dont think anyone is going to specifically be targetting them from a serious competition point of view but I would be fairly gutted to land a sea trout of a couple of pounds and be beaten on the day by a 20cm flat. If there is a total insistence on all sea trout caught during the comp being released I dont see the harm in allowing them as "bycatch" but I suppose there are licensing issues for anyone wishing to specifically target them.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:19 am

petekd wrote:but I suppose there are licensing issues for anyone wishing to specifically target them.

This would be an issue as well. Can we have unlicenced anglers counting sea trout in a comp? It would be hard to say that sea trout were not targetted..

Re: Mullaghmore

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:22 am

kieran wrote:Just a thought, that beaches produces a fair number of sea trout and yet they are not allowed, similar to mackerel. Should we look at this, otherwise it will be largely scratching for flats and the odd dog?

as far as im aware no competitions allow sea trout as they are classed as a game fish, i know that sometimes it can be annoying catching species in a comp that dont count but thats competition angling for you :D
i would be against the idea of allowing game fish to count as it makes ppl target them, also if we allow sea trout this time, the next time ppl may be calling for mackeral to be counted.
just my 2 cent FWIW.
paul

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:54 pm

lads is it not a bad idea to openly discuss possible changes to rules?

i would be completely against seatrout counting in a competition. to fish for seatrout in this country a licence is required, there is no grey area. it is complicating things unnecessarily.

catching them in a comp can be considered unlucky but it is an even playing field.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:56 pm

dont mean for the above to sound ratty lads...

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:34 pm

Like alby I am coming back ASAP to fish LL next day as for sea trout I agreed with Paul.

Colin

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:16 pm

I dont think sea trout should count

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:35 am

lads you kow we have just set ourselves up to catch nothing but sea trout for the entire day :lol: :lol: ah well it wouldnt b that bad

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:44 am

Going to try and be there for this. Was talking to buddy and the beach fished very poorly at the weekend...should be better with a bit of wind...fingers crossed. What end are we proposing to peg it from? Better size of flats near breakwater end but more numbers towards Mermaids Cove direction.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:42 am

from what i heard its not supposed to be a great venue in the 1st place, a buddy of mine fishs it regularly but got a pain in his hole so doesnt bother now. i cant for the life of me figure out y d masters is being held here

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:08 am

paulocallaghan wrote:a buddy of mine fishs it regularly but got a pain in his hole so doesnt bother now. i cant for the life of me figure out y d masters is being held here

he can get creams for that :shock: ..

it should be an interesting beach to fish if it is proving difficult, i'm always ready for a challenge like that. And the good thing is, you never know what might show up on the day :wink:

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:12 am

I prefer those type of venues myself to be honest, I enjoy the whole scratching out flats thing with 2 or 3 fish putting you in with a shout.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:22 am

petekd wrote:I prefer those type of venues myself to be honest, I enjoy the whole scratching out flats thing with 2 or 3 fish putting you in with a shout.

from what iv been told it could be 2 or 3 fish for the day in total, out of 100 anglers.
somewhere like Rossnowlagh is only around the corner and has the same species but better fishing, dont know why master angler couldnt have been held here

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:31 am

Ill be proposing Rossnowlagh and Culdaff actually as venues for next year when the time comes. Rossnowlaghs great, you can fish from the boot. However, imagine trying to fish the Masters on Rossnowlagh on a warm September day.... You would have no chance with the hordes....

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:45 am

Does seem a bit odd to host the premier comp there but maybe its to really test the guys who can drag a result when things aren't going well?
I hope you are wrong about Mullaghmore for our comp though! I will say that all the pre match talk was of a big struggle last week and the fishing actually panned out quite well with a few ray caught and relatively few (how many actually?) blanks. Optimist at heart me!

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:53 am

we live in hope and as petekd and blaker have both said a single cast could put you from last to 1st so it will make you persevere!!

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:51 pm

petekd wrote:I prefer those type of venues myself to be honest, I enjoy the whole scratching out flats thing with 2 or 3 fish putting you in with a shout.

going to have to disagree with ye there Pete :x

I find it far more enjoyable when there are lots of fish around and everyone has a few fish. The same names will probably keep on winning but everyone will have something on their card by the end of the comp, important I reckon, especially in our club where we have alot of people new to match fishing and travelling big distances to our comps.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:56 pm

Paul I don't who you've been talking too but there isn't much to choose between Rossnowlagh and Mullaghmore. We fish our club league on both and to be honest I prefer Mullaghmore :wink: .

May ain't going to be the greatest time of the year to fish it but if there is some kind of surf running I'd expect fish.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:36 pm

last comp i fished in rossnowlagh i had 6 flounder to coulnt and a few undersize too, never fished mullaghmore but thats just the information i was given, believe me i hope to prove my source wrong,!!!