Switch to full style
Sea Angling Ireland SAC was set up by users of the site in 2005.
Topic locked

Boat Comps and PFDs

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:16 am

Following on from recent discussion, and to clarify the clubs position.....

- It is a compulsory requirement that each SAI-SAC Member wishing to take part in a Boat Comp/Meet wear a suitable PFD at all times including transfer to and from the vessel.

- PFD must be worn properly at all times. No flapping jackets, no discarded flotation suit jackets etc.

- PFD should not be removed at any stage whilst on board the vessel other than for changing clothes/toilet etc.

- It is your responsibility to provide yourself with a suitable PFD, there may be "spares" which can be provided by another club member but there supply is in no way guaranteed and you are advised to check and confirm first.

- Failure to comply with the above will result in you being disqualified.

60 to 100 quid will buy you a decent Auto/Manual gas operated life jacket that will serve you well either from the rocks or wading beaches at night also. Aside from a few quid to replace the cylinder each season thats it as far as expense goes.

This is not a new rule, just one that will in the future be enforced. We do not wish to exclude anyone or have to refuse access to a boat on these grounds. If you are a newbie to the boat scene and dont have a jacket, post up PRIOR to the comp and we will see what we can do regards organising you one.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:27 am

good work, quick responce

Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Good move. I was thinking of getting a life jacket, even for use on rocky marks.

I was thinking of an auto inflating one. Could someone explain what the difference between one with a harness and one without?

Also, I was thinking of getting one from the UK where they seem to be better value. (I say "better value" rather than "cheaper" because I'd like it to actually work). Maybe something like this:

[url]http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/chandlery_products/lifejackets/product_info/xm_150n_quickfit_gas_inflatable_lifejacket_navy.htm[/url]

Any thoughts?

I guess it would need to be delivered without the CO2 cylinder, which I'd pick up here.

lifejackets

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:56 pm

Hi lads,

I got my 170N jacket from marineparts in swords for 65 euro.
How much is your life worth? :wink:

I have 4 on the boat so anytime I am in for a comp just ask and I will bring at least 3 for others to use no problem. :lol:

Yappo

Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:46 pm

170n, what weight do you have to be under for these to keep you afloat?

CLEVER THINKING

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:07 pm

Clever thinking

its so easy for simple accidents to happen even on a day that is flat calm

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:13 pm

170n is 170 kg so pud have to be pretty heavy to sink

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:24 pm

50N = 11lbs buoyancy

100N = 23lbs buoyancy

150N = 33lbs buoyancy

170N = 37lbs buoyancy

275N = 62lbs buoyancy

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:29 pm

Don't forget Archimedes, Steve!
http://home.flash.net/~table/gasses/archem.htm

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:35 pm

Archimedes proved alot of my theories wrong :? :? :?

i was going by this
http://www.crew-safe.co.uk/acatalog/CE_ ... tings.html

now dont get me wrong..

i wasnt saying that 170N = 37lbs buoyancy so you have to be less or equal to 37lbs for it to keep you afloat.. i was stating that that is how much buoyancy pressure it gives

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:40 pm

paulocallaghan wrote:170n is 170 kg so pud have to be pretty heavy to sink

Nope
gravitaional constant is 9.81
1 kg is approx 10 N
Last edited by jd on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:43 pm

stevecrow74 wrote:.. i was stating that that is how much buoyancy pressure it gives

Sorry about that-wasn't following the posts carefully enough
jd

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:04 am

jd wrote:
paulocallaghan wrote:170n is 170 kg so pud have to be pretty heavy to sink

Nope
gravitaional constant is 9.81
1 kg is approx 10 N
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: dont i feel foolish now, i was actually thinking 17 but wrote 170 :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 am

and before I'm corrected, 9.81 is small g, the earth's gravitaional constatnt, not Big G, the universal constant.
jd

Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:51 pm

ok thanks lads, have to get avest as be too warm in summer with floatation suit

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:06 pm

[quote="teacher"]Good move. I was thinking of getting a life jacket, even for use on rocky marks.

I was thinking of an auto inflating one. Could someone explain what the difference between one with a harness and one without?

Hello teacher.
Most of them have a harness of sorts but the difference is if you get one with a proper harness it can be used to attach a line to it in the event that you have to be lifted from the water by the R.N.L.I. or coastguard helicopter.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:28 pm

coaster wrote:Most of them have a harness of sorts but the difference is if you get one with a proper harness it can be used to attach a line to it in the event that you have to be lifted from the water by the R.N.L.I. or coastguard helicopter.

Sounds like I might as well have it as not. I assume it won't add too much to the bulk?

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:18 pm

very little difference

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:20 am

[quote="coaster] Most of them have a harness of sorts but the difference is if you get one with a proper harness it can be used to attach a line to it in the event that you have to be lifted from the water by the R.N.L.I. or coastguard helicopter.[/quote]

Hey Paul,

Is there any specific type/make of PFD which would be preferred over another.
Also in relation to size - would the 170N provide enough bouyancy for a (ahem.. :oops: ) larger person. I'm not the smallest of people - would i need to move up to the 200+ N size??

John.
Topic locked