Pollution

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:52 am

On yesterdays news I listened with great sadness to the reports about the pollution leeching into Cork Harbour from the ISPAT, formerly the Irish Steel, plant. It appears the EPA is complicit in allowing this situation to develop. I naively thought their role was to protect the environment. The Governments down through the years, representing the State as owners of Irish Steel, are at fault. ISPAT who knew exactly what was going on made their killing and left. Who was there to protect the environment and the communities living in and off it? The answer is, nobody.

Rumours about the the pollutants from the pharmaceutical plants abound here, but are very difficult to substantiate. The raw sewage from Cork and the other surrounding towns has been contaminating the harbour for years. At least that is being addressed in Cork city. But when a toxic dump is blatantly polluting the environment I expect someone to act immediately, not forty years later!

I regularly fish from Cobh, especially in the winter. Up to now I only took non-resident fish, e.g. mackerel, whiting and codling, for the pan. Resident fish, especially flatties I believe are far too exposed to pollution. Now, I think no fish from the harbour is safe to eat.

To the people who knew, and should have known, about this down through the years without doing anything about it, I have this to say. Shame on you, you despicable shower of cunts. May the effects of your negligence be revisited upon you a hundredfold.

Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:00 pm

Rescue divers in the shannon Estuary have to go on a course of pills against diseases if they are to be allowed to operate due to the pollution. Hopefully the drainage schemes will in Limerick and cork will eventually make a difference. Back home in wicklow the harbor has been plagued with doggies since the sewage scheme was put in place.

Donagh

Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:20 pm

strong words Read! a yet another depressing sea angling topic. i have heard of cases on my local river whereby the persons responsible where fined. turns out it was cheaper to pay the fine than to dispose of the waste accordingly!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? the river holds good trout and as a kid i must have caught hundreds of them. after a few years of relentless polluting i had to give it up. i couldn't take the heartache. also, the canal had some good tench fishing, great perch, rudd, roach, bream and even carp. the locks were constantly being opened by kids and the fish left to die in the pools, with the central fisheries board 2 minutes drive down the road, and nothing was done. yet they still advertise the canal as a good coarse fishing spot?! if they cannot deal with what's on their bloody doorstep what chance has anything else got???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

Kill em all!

Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:22 pm

Told you before. Buy a machine gun! :?

Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:59 pm

might be a better option than buying a new rod blank!