Ever seen this?

Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:34 am

Was out at Malahide yesterday evening for a stroll with the other half and the baby, walking around the estuary, heading towards the M1 bridge.
Passed by a couple of lads using small pier rods with small light fs reels.
Asked them what they were after, as the spot they were at didn't look to be a great choice compared to what was on offer.
They said they were after Mullet, so I asked them what bait they were using..."none, we're foul hooking". I stood back for a bit and they casted a couple of times when lo and behold the Mullet started to come in.

I was surprised they were getting anything, but I was disgusted at how they got them. I tried to explain that's not how "we" do it, and its about knowing the species on offer and finding the best bait to attract them.
Of course they didn't listen, each being only about 15.

Walked on and on the way back about 15-20 mins later they were still there, this time with dead Mullet on the ground beside them, and lads, these were not small Mullet......one had to be a 3 or 4lb'er.
That was enough for me.....so I ran them.
It really turned my stomach.

On the small positive side.......there are some big Mullet to be had at Malahide now!

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:17 am

Not foul-hooking mullet, but load of times I've seen young fellas (13-16 maybe) fishing, killing everything they catch and then leaving the place scattered with dead mackerel/doggies, etc.

I've only ever noticed it happeneing when they are not with adults. I think it's just a case of boys will be boys, and unfortunately I don't think there's a lot that can be done about it.

Hopefully as they grow up they will come to undestand the finer arts of fishing, however I also have a feeling that the young fellas who do this are the type that end up leaving their marks strewn with litter and big tangled balls of gut, etc. when they are finished a days fishing.

I suppose it's just a matter of education and respect.

ever seen this

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:28 am

You see this sort of thing everywhere, and more in England than in Ireland I'm ashamed to say, but on the other side of the coin I came across two young lads on Killybegs quay a couple of weeks ago who were polite and knowledgeable and apart from keeping a couple of mackerel for bait returned everything to the water with great care. Their tackle was old but very well cared for. So it's not (quite) all bad news with the next generation of anglers.

Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:01 pm

well the only thing i can say is that isnt it good to c young fellas out fishing rather than what most get up 2. and as for their methods, well it isnt conventional but the net result is the same (ie. fish with hook attached being pulled in ). the thing is that if they catch a few they will want to catch them to give them better sport. didnt we all kill a bt more than we needed to eat at some stage when we were young lads? u know what they say, u without sin cast the first lead!!!1 And wait untill those lads r 40, catching a mullet a cast on the fly and looking down their noses at those who have to resort to ground baiting for mullet!!!