Question for kieran - Buying Rag in the west

Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:13 pm

Hi Kieran,

Will be taking a trip to fish in the Sligo/Mullaghmore reqion next week and was wondering where to buy Rag/ Fresh bait. I remember there is a fishing shop in Ballisodare. Does it sell fresh bait?

kind regards
Paul

Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:20 pm

Hi Paul

Yes I know the one, small wee place that sells Greys of Alnwick and the like, mostly geared for the local salmon anglers. Not sure about the ragworm... damned if I can remembed the name of the place even and I doubt it is in the listing under the CFB website but that might be worth a try. There is a small hotel in Ballisodare and they would be bound to have a telephone number - my best advice would be to call them yourself. Ragworm is very rare in the west and usually imported.

If you get a chance I would bring some with you in a cooler box. You can keep them alive in a fridge for up to a week if you keep them in coal dust and salt water, picking out the dead or damanged ones. BTW, make sure they are the same size or the big uns will eat the little uns and make a right mess too...

Sorry I can not be any more helpful.

Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:59 pm

Hi Kieran,

Thanks for the reply.
The Rag sold from Henry's here in Dublin has a course "shelly" sand but there is little of it.
Would this keep for a week in the Fridge in a suitable box?
If so I could stock up beforehand.

btw i was thinking about trying around Streedagh point so I could just dig for some lug but I would prefer to be well prepared beforehand and get straight fishing. :D

Paul

Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:31 pm

Hi Paulod,
I've managed to keep a batch of Henry's worms alive for up to 5 days. The trick is to keep them moist and in a cool place. The other trick is to get a fresh batch to begin with.

Streedagh Point

Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:50 pm

Hi Paul

For Streedagh, bring a spining rod and lures.
For bait, catch a mackerel or two or bring some frozen.
You do not need more unless you want to fish onto the sand off the elbow.

Like the bit about "fresh to start with", Dances, I've been there.... :lol:

Cheers

Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:14 pm

Paulod,

ArthurG mentioned before that he gets Rag from somewhere in Sligo, you could PM him. Let me know where if you find out.

Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:11 pm

Thanks for the help lads.
I'll give it a go!

Paul

Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:09 pm

Have a look at the CFB directory at http://www.cfb.ie/fishing_in_ireland/ta ... /sligo.htm
You can select a different county for wherever you want to go. Phone the shop first though to book your bait - otherwise you could be disappointed!

Good luck,

Ian

Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:41 pm

The shop in Ballisodare is called 'Mack's fishing tackle' btw or some variation on that. They don't do ragworm but have plenty of frozen sand eel and some rather small joey mackerel if that's any good. When you're digging lug you might come across one or two white rag :wink: