Experts warn over seabird numbers

Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:39 am

Experts warn over seabird numbers

Experts are worried about a drop in breeding
Some of the most important seabird colonies in Western Europe are under threat because their main source of food seems to be disappearing.
The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds Scotland (RSPB) is blaming the shortage on climate change.

RSPB Scotland said the population in Shetland was facing a crisis and this summer is expected to witness a record low number of seabirds.

Most of the seabirds feed on sand eels which are in short supply.

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3931465.stm]more[/url]

Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:01 am

Hi

There were reports in the UK papers recently that Danish fishermen, having exhuasted local supplies were moving down the Channel in search of the sand eels. It is ground up for pig feed, so if that Danish bacon tastes a bit odd... you would have think people would have learned from the BSE episode in the UK. No sand eels => nothing above it in the food chain.

now is 'the good old days'!?

Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:03 pm

Kieran is there anything that can be done in protest to this kind of thing. anything that we could do to be counted. English anglers are starting to have a vioce. what about us? i have seen trawlers come ridiculously close to the shoreline on one or two occassions and felt helpless and angry.... the site would be a great oppurtunity to address issues like these. some kind of co-existence is needed. 'safe zones' for fish are longly overdue. when u put a fish back it is hard to feel optimistic about its chances. it is a farce at this stage. if it is all about greed and money then let's prove how much angling is worth to Ireland- tourism, tackle shops, guides....i must take a trip down to the fisheries board and have a word. i am sure lots of anglers on this site can see themselves fishing in ten years time, if not longer, and i for one would hate to be refering back to now as 'the good old days'.

Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:05 pm

actually i am going down now.

Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:26 pm

Thats why some people dont name venues as the lads come in and sweep the area after reading reports.

Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:53 pm

How did you get on Mark?

Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:25 am

well Wes i went down shortly after posting the message. to be honest i am still in the dark on this subject. basically i just got lots of things to read, some of which is related, which i will get around to during the course of the week. to be fair the woman at reception was very helpful but i got the impression she just thought i was a little odd! i suppose i do look a bit funny....anyway i didn't get to talk to anyone on the subject, got no recommendations, etc. most importantly, i got nothing of use to anglers that wanted to be represented or take measures on such issues. i will go to there website and maybe try contacting someone else. it is upsetting to think that one can be fined for flicking a cigarette on the ground whilst it seems ok for fish to be left in nets to die at the harbourside (and the like). anyway,in the meantime i best get reading....

Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:54 pm

i had a look at the site (briefly). had a look under fisheries development only to find that there where only game and coarse.......no sea fishing? hmmmmmmmmmm..............