Waterford this weekend

Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:54 pm

Hi folks,
anyone any suggestions on a nice B+B in waterford near any of the marks? Going down this weekend , not even sure which mark to go to?

Thanks
Jon

Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:57 pm

I always stay at the Oakwood B&B on the Cork Road - right side of the city and five minutes from John O'Brien's Angling Centre (opposite Woodies DIY). If I recall the number of 051 354007. Nice, reasonable and very pleasant proprietors. Probably busy this time of year mind...

Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:31 am

No shortage of B&B's around the city and in Tramore. There is also the Ivory Lodge Hotel and the Travel Lodge both near Mc Donald's on the Cork Road. Try Saleens for a bit of fishin'

Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:38 am

thanks guys, I'll let you know how we get on..

How we got on..Long read ahead, get your slippers and pipe..

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:20 pm

Well I'm back, and heres the run down.
Hit Dunmore east Friday evening late, so late we ended up having to share a double room at a local B&B, as you can imagine the landlady took the mick (no pun intended) no end at breakfast the next morning.
Saturday saw us spend most of the day on the flat rocks just past the harbor. A couple of pollack and macks was all that we managed although it was a great chance for me to improve my casting technique with my new enough multiplier setup. A local advised that the area had been fishing poorly of late and the same was true of Tramore..

Ignoring him completely :D later that day we took a spin down to Tramore. We spotted a shop that sold tackle (Bobbys I think) amoungst other things and I eyeballed a navigator holdall, these are 26 sterling from the UK and when he said I could have a fiver off at 35Euro I couldn't resist. All told he ended up throwing in some swivels/leads and a free set of feathers too, fantastic....
After some heated debate we decided it best to head staight to Dungarvan in order to secure accomodation, with 2 beds this time..
Having done that we went straight to Helvic Head, it was 8pm and a couple of hours before full tide but nothing happening.(Note: we are pure novices so when I say nothing happening I mean we haven't a clue how to catch fish :lol: ).
We trekked around to the Peir and from 9 to 10:30 we must have landed about 40 macks. This is a scary place, the peir wall is narrow and with a breeze and my fear of death on the rocks I was shakey at best. A local told us about an appearantly fantastic mark for Bass close by, the name of which escapes me but when I mentioned the spit (Cunnigar) he said that wasn't it?.

After a few scoops in Dungarvan that night we headed to Hook head on Sunday. What a place, fantastic scenery. We headed for the marks that were labeled and setup there. After a couple of pollack and not much else we were surrounded by match anglers there for a competition. I got chatting to a guy called Joe Ryan this guy looked like he could catch fish with twine and a bamboo stick, and he proved it by landing 9 doggies while those around only managed pollack and the odd doggie. For 5 hours I picked his brain and he gave me great advice on bait
, making traces and why my multiplier was restricting my distance. He was really helpful and those few hours made my weekend, I almost landed my first dogfish too but he got away close to shore(I was sick).

Finally we headed home this morning stopping in Wexford town where I spotted a Century Tip-tornado Lite in Hayes Bike shop. At 320 quid I wasn't sure if it was a good price. After checking sea angler in a local news agents at 215 sterling the prices were quite close. I managed to get 25 quid knocked off and considering the saving on P&P I reckon overall I saved a tidy sum, he also threw in some gear too. His name is Desy and was very nice and willing to do a deal if you prepared to ask.
(BTW I don't have loads of cash to splash on new gear all the time I just happened to be in the market and had put a bit aside recently).

Anyway thats the lot, great experience for me, saw lots of nice places, met lots of nice folk, caught a couple of fish and learnt a great deal. Thats what its all about I reckon.

Take care,
Jon

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:22 pm

that was me BTW, took so long to write that mail that i got looged out of the forum :)

Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:57 am

just bumping it in case someone wants a read....

Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:10 am

Nice report Jon. FAir play to the guy that gave you the info at the match. That was very nice of him.