multipliers, heavy lines and rough ground?

Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:32 pm

do you guys slow your multipliers down for fishing really snaggy rough ground? it is hard to keep an even line lay constantly pulling through snags with the line being under pressure and then falling slack. it seems more likely that there will be problems with the cast? cheers.

multipliers / rough ground

Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:43 pm

m.b3

why not place a fixed spool onto the rod - casting with it on a multiplier rung rod won't be a problem as rocky marks do not normally require distance casting. the fixed spool also has a quicker retrieve ratio.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:44 pm

m.b3

I have a reel set up for fishing rocky grounds, "Penn 535" 30lb main to a bimmi twist and rig of about 2ft long, onto that a stand off lop and final part is with a rotten bottom. 20lb snood line to hook with a knot about 2 inchs up from the hook.

No metal parts fitted except for the hook and rotten bottom "in my case a heavy paper clip plastic coated" there ain't any one with me fishing.

As for the reel, I have fitted double brake weights and ep 80 gear oil, a gental lop or heavy blast, no over runs, nothing.

Also, as I make my own lead weights, 5oz with an extra long lop which the two runs of the clip fit into, which takes 25lb to pull out stright.

And that is what I call my "Get out of jail setup" ie rock hopp'en mad

Dave

FS spool reel

Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:38 pm

I have cheap okuma reel thats has an extra large diameter to take 25/30 lb and an extra spool to take 15lb so you can swop easily between the 2. Their usually used used to get a full house of mackrel up a cliff. No way as good a a multiplier for pumping big fish but gets them up with a little more work. Use a pulley rig with a decent rolling ball main swivel as conger spin like be jasus and will muck up your line. Squid holds its sent for more than 1/2 an hour and is tough against crabs meaning your don't have to cast and retrieve as often.
Donagh