Best bait that can be stored

Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:38 pm

Hey folks, Ive fished for years now but in the last 2 years getting much more into shore angling..
My approach to using bait is typically frozen mack as it means I can keep it in the freezer and it's ready and on hand when I'm able to get out for a few hours (sometimes short notice)... I sometimes use frozen sand eel for this purpose too. I mainly fish Wicklow and Wexford beaches.
My question is am I really impacting my chances of catching using this approach? IE are there days when flatties will only be taking rag/lug for example? And are there any other baits that I should consider that store we'll also? (I've heard you can salt rag for example)
Thanks!

Re: Best bait that can be stored

Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:29 pm

frozen lug, razor, squid and crab are all useful too

Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:41 pm

I was thinking of squid alright! Can you freeze lug? I had no idea, thanks

Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:37 pm

Nope, not impacting
Frozen mack and sandeel are a great all-round bait, all fish love them esp, flatties
some people swear by rag or lug for flatties, I believe fish is as good. Try frozen raw prawn too, its a great bait
if you aren't catching then don't blame the bait choice, the chances are there are just no fish in the area or they aren't on the feed..

Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:28 pm

If you cut the lug and squeeze the guts out of them they can be frozen if wrapped in news paper. Worked fine me when I fished the Wexford beaches lately.

You didn't mention what rigs you are using. A lot of the Wicklow beaches have small fish in close. Small hooks (size 4 or size 6) should get you a few fish.

Enjoy.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:38 pm

Thanks for the info folks - I'm fishing mostly Wicklow and Wexford beaches at the moment (with the occasional group trip to Donegal a couple of times a year). Mostly 2/3 hook flappers with size 2's but maybe I'll need to size down again by the sounds of it.. I'll check out some vids on gutting the lug - it would be great to be able to save some from session to session! Also I'll check out some frozen prawn too!