Moving to NI

Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:26 pm

Hi all,

I'm just looking to get a bit of a headstart with regards to shore based jigging/lure fishing in NI.

I grew up in Wales and only ever fished for carp. For the past 3 years I lived in the middle east and due to the lack of carp/any freshwater, I gave jigging a try. Unsurprisingly, I got hooked (pardon the pun).

Being so new to this style of fishing and having never done it in UK waters, I wondered if anyone could give me any pointers as to where to start. Rods, reels, terminal tackle and such isn't the info I'm looking for (though welcome). I'm really looking for some info on any spots I can sink my teeth into some fish (literally any species). I'm not asking for anyone to reveal their honeypot, but a rough idea of where to start would be a great help and motivation to get hunting myself. Spending hours wandering the shoreline isn't too bad when it's 40 degrees, but I'm not sure how fun it is returning empty handed in temperatures that rarely top 20 at best!

My knowledge of NI and ROI counties etc isn't great and from research, it seems most stuff is coming up for deep in the south (at some point I'm sure that will be useful) for the time being though, I'd like to just dip my toes in northern waters as I will be based in Newry.

Many thanks in advance,

Lee.