swell forecast

Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:36 pm

any good recommendations for predicting swell?
since magicseaweed became surfline, i dont find it as good
thanks
B

Re: swell forecast

Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:24 pm

I find checking Windy.com and Tides4fishing works very well.

Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:19 am

look up wave period or wave height on the NOAA site

Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:30 pm

Yes, I used use MS as my second forecast/reference. I use XC for their current info and wind history and then used double check on MS which was more pessimistic. It looks like Surfline ues GFS like XC which I find less accurate than the ECMWF. So basically Surfline is now no more use to me.
I had been experimenting with Windfinder ( https://www.windfinder.com/ ) and the more I use it the better it seems to be. They also use GFS but their Superforecast uses ECMWF. I access the mobile site on my phone rather than the app but I'm tempted to pay for Windfiner Pro. I am also experimenting with Windy It allows weather model choices in the setup. I think I'll eventually settle for one of these along with XC with has a great interface... I should point out that I don't really follow the swells all that closely.

Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:31 am

I do use windguru kinda accurate for me

Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:58 pm

Thanks all

Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:00 pm

So was there no definite answer to the initial question here..? Is there a website or app to compare to magicseaweed does anyone know? - All suggestions in the responses above, although certainly helpful in a way, only seem to suggest weather and wind forecast websites but none of these websites actually provide specific forecast info on swell and wave height as far as I can tell(?)
TIA

Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:42 pm

Hi Charlie,

Those details are in Windguru unless I have mistaken in reading it. It has the wave height, wave period and direction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:41 pm

Thanks Wabs

Yip, had a look there. Shows the wave height indeed. Do you find the forecasts for the wave height reasonably reliable?
Pity that it don't show swell though (for boating)
Does Windguru have an app? I can't seem to find one if it does

Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:15 pm

chuckaroo wrote:So was there no definite answer to the initial question here..? Is there a website or app to compare to magicseaweed does anyone know? - All suggestions in the responses above, although certainly helpful in a way, only seem to suggest weather and wind forecast websites but none of these websites actually provide specific forecast info on swell and wave height as far as I can tell(?)
TIA

Windfinder gives swell height

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/roc ... n=redirect

Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:53 pm

JimC wrote:
chuckaroo wrote:So was there no definite answer to the initial question here..? Is there a website or app to compare to magicseaweed does anyone know? - All suggestions in the responses above, although certainly helpful in a way, only seem to suggest weather and wind forecast websites but none of these websites actually provide specific forecast info on swell and wave height as far as I can tell(?)
TIA

Windfinder gives swell height

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/roc ... n=redirect

Thanks Jim. Will take a look at that