Eating dogs

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Eating dogs

Postby chuckaroo » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:56 pm

Does anyone here regularly eat dogfish?
Best way to prepare it?
Preferred way to cook it??
Last edited by chuckaroo on Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Re: Eating dogs

Postby JimC » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:45 pm

There's a few videos and recipes.... search for Rock Salmon (Seems like doggies, spurs and hounds are all referred to rock salmon)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kq86YlD5Hro

For this message the author JimC has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:18 pm)
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby hugo » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:52 am

Hi. I used to make great fish curries with them, Thai style, they're good solid meat that survives the cooking well.
Main thing is to get rid of the uric acid taint from the skin. My method was to sprinkle the whole fish with salt to draw out the off-flavours, put it in a plastic bag and into the freezer for a week, or until you need it, then thaw it out, wash it, and skin it. The freezing seems to break down any uric taste left after the salting.
To skin, I nailed the head of the fish to an upright board, cut the skin across just under the head, and used both hands to peel it downwards to the tail. Electricians gloves will keep your own skin intact!
The salting and freezing method works with rays too.
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby chuckaroo » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:55 am

hugo wrote:Hi. I used to make great fish curries with them, Thai style, they're good solid meat that survives the cooking well.
Main thing is to get rid of the uric acid taint from the skin. My method was to sprinkle the whole fish with salt to draw out the off-flavours, put it in a plastic bag and into the freezer for a week, or until you need it, then thaw it out, wash it, and skin it. The freezing seems to break down any uric taste left after the salting.
To skin, I nailed the head of the fish to an upright board, cut the skin across just under the head, and used both hands to peel it downwards to the tail. Electricians gloves will keep your own skin intact!
The salting and freezing method works with rays too.

Thanks hugo
And did you fillet the skinned fish?
What's your recipe? :))
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Postby hugo » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:09 am

No need to fillet them, just cut them into chunks about 2 inches long. They dont have bones just a central cartilage and the flesh just falls off it after a bit of cooking.
There are dozens of recipes online, personally I like green Thai curries better than the red ones but its a matter of taste. Get a jar of Thai green curry paste from the supermarket, they'll have a recipe on the jar, but it's a flexible formula, the only must-haves in my concoctions are coconut oil, a sliced green pepper, an onion, garlic, some sliced or grated fresh ginger, and the juice of a green lime (better flavour than lemon).
Here's another basic recipe: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/thai ... urry_60910
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby chuckaroo » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:02 pm

Great , thanks again Hugo
I'm gonna do this
Probably won't be able to catch one when I want one though... :lol: 8)
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Postby ASColli » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:04 pm

Nick Fisher from River Cottage is really enthusiastic about eating dogfish in his book. He recommends deep frying chunks of it in beer batter. Haven’t been able to try it yet, I haven’t seen once since I came across this information!

For this message the author ASColli has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:12 pm)
ASColli
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby hugo » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:56 pm

It used to be on the menu as "rock salmon" in some English fish n chip shops, maybe still is.
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby chuckaroo » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:14 pm

ASColli wrote:Nick Fisher from River Cottage is really enthusiastic about eating dogfish in his book. He recommends deep frying chunks of it in beer batter. Haven’t been able to try it yet, I haven’t seen once since I came across this information!

Heard that this was good too. Apparently the Spanish serve it in a lot of their restaurants battered, with good reports. Must give it a try too. Just like this idea of it in a curry. It's all about this preping, the hassle of skinning it, that has to be overcome..
Edit:
** Now that you mention it, Nick Fisher (of the famed Screening Reels series) has gone missing today apparently.. :(
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-63664653
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum