Clones marks

Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:42 am

Hello Folks,

Heading for a trip to Clones Strand tonight. First time planning a fishing trip around scheduled solunar activity. Heading to the beach for around 2000hrs to fish the rising tide into darkness. Went for a reccy yesterday and liked the look of the rocks to the left as you walk onto the beach, estuary also obviously a potential hotspot. Has anybody had any recent luck here? Any known spots along that beach that people would be willing to divulge? Been out nearly every weekend the past few months on different beaches along that stretch of coastline with varying levels of success.

Cheers.

Re: Clones marks

Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:47 am

Hi Ryan, I have fished this beach several times over the last 6 months, In the winter i had 2 small Spurs, flat fish, whiting and a bull huss and small smoothounds usually in darkness it seems to be better. In the spring on a wild stormy day had a nice bass near the river opening. There seems to be a good depth of water all along at distance. A while ago i had dogfish all day, they never stopped and was a real pain. I have spoke to some locals there and they have said they have seen Tope being caught there last summer. Hope you had some joy yourself.

Re: Clones marks

Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:53 pm

Clones is a great beach with a great array of species available. I have had cod to 8lb from there in november/December along with all the usual summer species. It's a favoured tope mark for many lads down that direction.

I find the hardest species to catch is bass down there, but you wont be blanking usually.