East coast surf beaches

Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:19 am

Hi lads

Is there such a thing aroung the dublin, wicklow area.. Was out in balbriggan/Skerries area for a scout about last week and the beaches looked like glass. In fact i dont think i have seen them any other way tbh.. Also been to bray/greystones and was the same

If the Atlantic and west coast of Ireland are getting heavy swell's, do these beaches get affected by squals to create a surf etc

Sorry lads i am from the west coast and used to surf beaches but just rying to get my head around this area up here

Brian

Re: East coast surf beaches

Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:28 am

Yes the beaches do get a surf but you need an easterly wind of some sort ,and it helps if the water has a bit of colour in it ,in the summer most of the winds are westerly ,that’s when spinning works ,but if you do get a good easterly and use decent bait ,I find ragworm the best ,you have a good chance of some fish ,fishing in the dark also helps ,just wade out till it’s knee deep and lob your bait out ,don’t bring too much gear with ye as the beaches are shallow and you will be moving up the beach the whole time ,not much point in fishing on the ebb

Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:12 am

Eoghan

Excellent reply and a lot gained from one post

Is mackeral any use here on this side of the island?

Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:57 am

mack will get you pin flounder, whiting, rockling and dogs, but for other species rag and crab are needed - bass, smoothie etc.

Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:46 pm

It would be worth the extra 30min journey to wexford for some good bsas fishing on bait or spinning, westerly winds are much better however.