dunseverick

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

dunseverick

Postby lolafish » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:39 pm

ive been out for a dander and walked from dunseverick harbour to port bradon i think its called
about half way between the two i walked out onto the rocks and it looked very pollocky but i hadnt my rod with me so i have no reports
has anyone else fished here?
ive seen a video or 2 of people camping at the car park and fishing etc but i much prefer walking a little bit and having the place to myself.
lolafish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: dunseverick

Postby chuckaroo » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:11 am

Yes, have fished it. It fishes into nice deep water. The problem is that there are big rocks and weed on the seabed in most of the casting area if front of you, and so bait fishing the bottom can be a nightmare for snagging. But this obviously makes it ideal for pollack fishin, if you can work around the weed..
I'd suggest using heavy (leadhead) lures that could be weedless (or heavy shads or similar, with up-turned hooks that might lesson the chances of snagging), casting well out, letting it sink to the bottom and working the lure as close to the bottom as you might dare - this works well for me anyway on other deep rough marks, you just have to hope that the pollack are around and up for it..
It 'has' to hold pollack and wrasse, mack surely have to come in close at times, and the (very) occasional bass shows at Portbradden and WPBay beach so maybe there is even a few of them about there too
Watch out for rogue waves on that north coast!
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope

For this message the author chuckaroo has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:28 am), lolafish (Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:11 pm)
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby lolafish » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:59 pm

Thanks for the advice mate
lolafish
SAI Lug Worm

Postby lolafish » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:16 pm

I spent an hour around dunseverick a few days ago and caught a handful of small pollock with some mackeral feathers
lolafish
SAI Lug Worm

Postby chuckaroo » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:53 am

lolafish wrote:I spent an hour around dunseverick a few days ago and caught a handful of small pollock with some mackeral feathers

Grand job
Have just re-read the initial post there. You said that you had looked at "half way" between Dunseverick harbour and Portbradden, but I had quickly assumed that you were talking about the headland closer to and just beyond (directly north of) Portbradden itself - the same headland that would be easily accessed from Portbradden, better known, and more commonly fished.. It has a nice big flat platform to fish from.
The area 'halfway' between Dunseverick harbour and Portbradden would be a little more west than that though and I am less familiar with it, it will be more rugged and lesser fished. It does look like (from Google maps) there is a big rock that fishes onto cleaner ground about there but I have no idea how accessible it is or if it would be good for feather/lure fishing, certainly looks interesting though.
Would be interested to hear how you get on if you fish either..
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby AlanMallard1979 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:49 pm

Fished 2 weeks ago got 3 pollack and 2 wrasse

For this message the author AlanMallard1979 has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:10 am)
AlanMallard1979