Fishing Youghal/Garryvoe Area

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:16 am

Thinking of taking a weekend down to Youghal area to try for the cod and painted rays in October or November and just planning ahead. I've not fished here before so what is the tide run like, any tides or wind conditions to plan around or bear in mind for venue selection, and any good spots to buy fresh bait down there? Is there much likelihood of a few codling or rays about at that stage too? Thanks in advance!

Re: Fishing Youghal/Garryvoe Area

Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:01 am

Do a search on the site for South Coast Cod. Plenty of reading there with tips and tricks also a few maps with names and locations.

I'll put up the usual "Sticky" when they are starting to show.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:46 am

I had a look through a lot of the reports alright and there's some great information but just looking to see what sort of gear to bring along too. Would 5 or 6oz leads be alright to hold in the tide along there?

Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:07 pm

Dave F wrote:I had a look through a lot of the reports alright and there's some great information but just looking to see what sort of gear to bring along too. Would 5 or 6oz leads be alright to hold in the tide along there?

Fishing off the beaches I'm using a 6oz grip lead. If there is a big surf running and a bit of weed around you will need a rod to match the conditions. Your "Courtown scratching rod" :lol: will not last long. In these conditions fish as close to the edge of the water and keep the rod up high in the stand, this will help keep the line out of the weed in front of you.
Remember the Youghal and Garryvoe beaches only start to dish after dusk.

Fishing in the estuary it is best to fish on the slacker tides if not fish an hour either side of high or low.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:42 pm

Cheers, that's just what I was looking for. I'll bring something a bit more heavy duty than the summer kit so! Is there anywhere down that way to buy bait? I was thinking from looking at the old reports that I'd be looking at fresh lug and crab and some sandeels and mackerel potentially for the rays.

Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:53 pm

Paul Owens 086 4091811....Tom Maher 087 7941533
Youghal has not been picking well over the last 2/3 years, local boatman potting for crab.

If you are down during the big tides you can pick mussel on the seaward side of Ferry Point.
I'll make a call or two tomorrow and get an update.