Circle hooks

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Circle hooks

Postby Thompst111 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:10 am

Any body on here use circle hooks for beach fishing?
I have made a few rigs with them and used them once or twice, the reason I didn't keep using them was I did miss a couple of fish with them assuming bass. Don't get wrong I have caught doggies on them and they were hooked perfectly in the scissors but it's not like I'm targeting dogs.
I just found that I missed a few fish with them and when I went back to j hooks I hooked up the bass. So basically my question is are they worth it??
Thompst111
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 18 times

Re: Circle hooks

Postby Dave F » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:44 am

I was looking at rigs tied for hounds with a circle hook completely exposed above a crab bait using a knotless knot. I think that would work very well. Will have to do some winter trials comparing identical rigs but with the pennel hook on one rig a circle and the other a chinu or similar.
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Re: Circle hooks

Postby Gonzo » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:57 pm

Apparently they work best when the hook is above the bait, BillyFishing on youtube made a video on how to make "hairs" to hold the bait:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rm3DzT82F0U
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland

For this message the author Gonzo has received thanks:
corbyeire (Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:00 pm)
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum