Angling and Fishing Mark Advice

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Angling and Fishing Mark Advice

Postby NigelMarie » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:48 pm

Hi all,

I recently start angling with my 08 yr old son and we are having a blank streak all summer
We had tried cut bait, Shabiki rigs, soft plastic, float fishing, lure fishing, rock fishing, surf fishing and no luck, not from lack of trying
we had blanks at the PIer in Monkstown, Pier in Youghal, Ringaskiddy, THE rocks in Fountain beach, Cobh, cross heaven, whiting bay,
white beach

We are using frozen Mackerels and Squids

I just want him to catch anything with a fin at this point lol...

Any advice on safe Marks or anything will be appreciated
NigelMarie
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Angling and Fishing Mark Advice

Postby Cd072 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:43 pm

Maybe try targeting mini species to get him started? Tiny sabiki lures jigged up any harbour wall at high tide will catch small Pollack, spratt ,sandeels and various other fish. Hooks must be small though maybe a size 12. Sames goes if using bait for them small strips of squid on size 10 or 12 hung just off the bottom on most piers will catch lots of fish. They may not be big but its catching!

For this message the author Cd072 has received thanks: 3
corbyeire (Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:32 pm), Gonzo (Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:45 am), Greendag (Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:55 pm)
Cd072
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby Greendag » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:54 pm

Any Cork lads here to get Nigel and his youngfella on a few fish? My own opinion would try some worm baits, rag or lug, just keep having a go, get some baited hooks in the water, some days it just clicks in to place. Good luck :wink:
Greendag
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby Its Ofishal » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:15 am

If you go to the new bridge on the south side in Kinsale with feathers I saw quite a few mackerel being caught and 2 hours before high tide to full tide.
Its Ofishal
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 103 times

Postby shortcircuit » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:39 am

I think getting after some mini species from a pier is the best idea. Go to somewhere like Ballycotton pier and go down the end where you can drop the line right over the side. Float fish with very small hooks and bait with mackerel or ragworm if you can get it. Be a good idea to plumb the depth too, you want your hook right on the bottom.

Also, playing devil's advocate here, there is a lake near Castlemartyr called Ballyhonock there is coarse fishing there I believe. Surely if you went there with a few maggots you could catch a few roach on the float. Anything to get a fish on the line, your young lad won't mind if it's a roach or a great white shark!
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby NigelMarie » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:54 am

Thanks for the advice everyone,
We will keep at it, and hopefully our lucy will turn soon
NigelMarie
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby shortcircuit » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:28 pm