Artificial Bait

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Artificial Bait

Postby MightBite » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:03 pm

Sorry if this is a stupid question. But does anyone use artificial bait when fishing from shore. I wouldnt have any tackleshops near me for live bait And the local shop never seems to mackerel in. Was just curious if using an all artificial set up rig would produce any results. I understand there is websites that deliver but they are quite expensive. I'd go out for and dig for lug but havent a clue what I'm doing or where I'm looking. Can sandeels be caught on tiny feathers? Is that even a thing. I wouldn't be that keen on using a net as guess what I havent a clue how to use that either lol. Wouldnt want to look like a pleb infront of others. Thanks for listening
MightBite
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Re: Artificial Bait

Postby bpmurray » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:23 pm

Yes, you can catch sandeels and sprats using small feathers (Sabikis are good). If you're going after mackerel, pollock, cod, whiting, bass or any other predator, you can use the usual artificial baits: spinners, spoons, feathers, etc. I imagine meat might work, and you can buy fish in your local supermarket - don't get battered fish or stuff in sauce :-)
Species 2022: Halibut, Coalfish, Cod, Haddock, Pollack, Whiting, Mackerel, Wolffish, Redfish, Torsk
bpmurray
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby MightBite » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:00 pm

bpmurray wrote:Yes, you can catch sandeels and sprats using small feathers (Sabikis are good). If you're going after mackerel, pollock, cod, whiting, bass or any other predator, you can use the usual artificial baits: spinners, spoons, feathers, etc. I imagine meat might work, and you can buy fish in your local supermarket - don't get battered fish or stuff in sauce :-)

Haha what about sweet and sour. All joking aside. Thanks for your input. Bought a few different artificial worms etc with the hope they might do the job instead of live bait. I'll have a look and see what the local shop will do.
MightBite
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby corbyeire » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:38 pm

you can use artificial worms on the pier for minis and for wrasse and pollack off the rocks - there was a guy posting here before catching flounder on artificial worms also - better than not fishing!
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby corbyeire » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:38 pm

Theres also a report using jelly sweets to catch wrasse too and sausages to catch doggies!
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum