Squid Jigging in Winter?.

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:00 pm

Hi lads,

I've just seen a video by SMASH fishing on youtube where he was jigging for squid this week, although he is based in Guernsey it got me wondering if it's possible to catch them here too in winter? does anybody know?

Cheers
Gonzo

Re: Squid Jigging in Winter?.

Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:42 pm

Don't know but would like to find out
Know that they are caught from boat when targeted from a few places in Donegal Bay but that's about it
Would love to know somewhere to catch them from the shore, just don't think anyone has tried too hard!

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:08 pm

Apparently the pier in skerries can be good for squid jigging at night

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:33 pm

Cd072 wrote:Apparently the pier in skerries can be good for squid jigging at night

I've heard that and tried in the summer, just wondering if it's only a summer thing though? would there still be any about this time of year?

Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:25 pm

I had one a long time ago on feathers just off the pier in skerries around September I think.

Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:40 pm

Winter is best for them as far as I’m aware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:33 pm

I’ve had a few squid from skerries over the years,September was best .but I’m sure they are there in the winter the only problem is getting calm weather and clear water during the winter ,I’ve had some success using squid pins with a shrimp or sprat /sand eel secured with elastic

Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:45 am

Sounds great, I have done it in Greece and France and will test it here also!