Flatties and rays

Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:09 pm

I get good flounder at a local beach. Is it worth trying for rays on the same beach and what time of year? Thanks

Re: Flatties and rays

Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:20 pm

What shoreline you on

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:58 pm

East coast northern ireland

Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Just because you are catching flounder on the beach does not mean that there are rays there too
East coast of NI isn't the most prolific place for rays in the country, they just aren't found there in any great numbers.
Having said that, there have been a few caught from boats close to shore in Red Bay and in Carnlough this year, and a few are always caught in Carlingford Lough and Belfast Lough most years.
If you are mad keen to catch a ray then travel to places where that are more common, like Lough Swilly at Fahan (Lisfannon beach) for example. I wouldn't focus efforts on trying to catch on on the NE coasty but, of course, it's up to you if you want to try
Also, apparently winter is the worst time to get them (but I am not convinced this is necessarily true)
If targeting them then I'd recommend using circle and barbless hooks as rays can have a tendency to swallow baits quite quickly

Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:00 pm

Brilliant thank you,it’s one of the only shore fish I’ve never caught. That beach is 2 and a half hrs away not too bad.what time of year is good to try,tides and baits. Thanks again,
Marty