Skerries/Loughshinny Pier Fishing

Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:59 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone had any luck recently fishing on Skerries or Loughshinny pier for mackerel or bass?

What would be the best tackle to use? I'm planning on going in the next few days but thinking of bringing my 2 rods for float and spinning.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Re: Skerries/Loughshinny Pier Fishing

Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:31 pm

Huza91 wrote:Hi All,

Has anyone had any luck recently fishing on Skerries or Loughshinny pier for mackerel or bass?

What would be the best tackle to use? I'm planning on going in the next few days but thinking of bringing my 2 rods for float and spinning.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Feathers in Skerries around high tide will produce mackerel and there are reports of them being caught here recently! Loughshinny I'm not too sure about, I've fished it a handful of times but never caught anything and always seems to be kids pier jumping, but I have been told you can get mackerel here, hope this helps!

Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:49 pm

Drove down to Skerries Pier recently with the intentions of catching mackerel. The pier was full of lads already fishing and fairly on top of each other. Seem them pull a few joey mackerel in while there. Never tried Loughshinny myself.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the info as it's been about 15 years since I fished either Skerries or Loughshinny when I was only 13.

Anyway I fished Skerries last night 1 hour before high for about 3 hours and guess what....success!! There were about 7 people in total on the pier but I went up the stairs on the right and was catching large mackies while the lads down below were catching only joeys!!

Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:21 pm

Well done. I went down about a moth ago & there were too many people there to fish comfortably so I didn't bother.
There was nobody up on top of the steps and I wondered why not, thought it might not be allowed so left it, shame.

Did you go on a Sat? I was planning on going weekdays when kids are back in school in the hope that there would be less people.