Smoothhound from Wicklow/Wexford beaches?

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:57 pm

I'm heading out tomorrow to target smoothhound, I'm wondering has anyone been catching any of decent size around Wicklow/Wexford beaches? If so, what beach?

Re: Smoothhound from Wicklow/Wexford beaches?

Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:17 pm

Its been a few weeks ago but I got a good few from tiny up to 5lb on Arklow beach.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:03 pm

How far into Wexford are you willing to go!!

Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:15 pm

keithelliott wrote:How far into Wexford are you willing to go!!

I'd be willing to travel as far into Wexford as possible If there's a decent chance of fish being there :D

Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:47 am

ust back from a few days in Waterford with Storm Ellen for company (timing eh!)
Had a grand old chat with Mr O'Brien in Waterford Angling Centre.
He indicated that there were smuts being taken on SQUID as well as ragworm on the SE beaches and even up in Passage East around HW.
He had no bait at the time so its not as if he was trying to push product! Sound guy who knows his stuff...

and I caught a dogfish off the new breakwater in Dunmore East.
As in... that was it! Didn't get out fishing much so no regrets. Waterford Glass tour was good (even the teenagers enjoyed it)!...

Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:17 pm

I ended up heading to Courtown harbour. I fished the pier that's furthest south.

I managed to land 2 Smoothound from 3 runs all on a pulley pennel with peeler crab.

I lost the first one trying to land it just at the harbour wall, the fish was too big to lift up the wall and my pennel hook bent and the fish got off.

I didn't make that mistake again and I landed the next two by getting down onto the beach.

The biggest of the two I landed was 4/4.5ft long and id estimate it at about 10lb, I hadn't got a scales with me.

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:49 am

The hound fishing off those beaches is getting worse by the year

Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:43 pm

ste c wrote:The hound fishing off those beaches is getting worse by the year

Must be something to do with covid -19, they all headed to Cork a lot safer than the east coast. Here is a 6lb. one from Cork harbour today. :oops: 8) :D

image000000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:01 pm

Thomas95 wrote:
keithelliott wrote:How far into Wexford are you willing to go!!

I'd be willing to travel as far into Wexford as possible If there's a decent chance of fish being there :D

Sorry about the delay, next time your going down, go to Rosslare point, great spot for hounds, best on the rising tide, close to sunset

Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:30 pm

Ragworm and squid have been great baits in the Waterford Estuary at least, up to Arthurstown/Passage East etc, with squid finding the slightly bigger ones.
I'm just thinking what could cause a decline in a smooth hound fishery? They're hardly targeted at all are they?