Northern beaches

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Northern beaches

Postby Codpiece » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:40 pm

I finally got out for my first real session in Ireland.
I moved here around a year and a half ago from Scotland. Things have been pretty hectic with new job, young family etc but this morning I headed up Louth direction and got a few hours in.
I have never fished for Bass before so wasn’t overly optimistic but a head-hooked, freelined rag did the trick and I was delighted with my first Irish fish and first ever Bass!
I got one other good take but he bit short and left me with a rag head left on the hook
I usually practice catch and release but as it was my first and it was perfect eating size (49cm) I decided to take it for dinner tonight- should feed the family! When I gutted it I checked it’s gut and it was stuffed full of small brown shrimp about 2cm long.
Looking forward to my next session
Cheers

For this message the author Codpiece has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:12 pm)
Codpiece
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Northern beaches

Postby corbyeire » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:57 pm

What a result, lucky you - how did you get the rag out into the suds if you were freelining it?
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Re: Northern beaches

Postby Codpiece » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:22 pm

There are a few spots up that way that allow for those kind of tactics. Particularly with an ebbing tide

For this message the author Codpiece has received thanks:
corbyeire (Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:18 pm)
Codpiece
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum