Dublin Bay ~ Booterstown to Blackrock - Lowtide dropoff

Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:32 pm

Hi folks,
What is the guidance on fishing the sand/mud flats section of Dublin Bay, say between Booterstown and Blackrock, on the full-drop low tide (say last 30-40 minutes), through the turn and into the first push, before scarpering off the flats. I would be extremely mindful of the pace of the incoming tide and the distance needed to get safely back to firm sand without having a proper swim.
With the lockdown I've been observing the changing tides in the bay whenever i walk through the Blackrock park and have virtually never seen anyone fishing the Bay on the edge of the drop-off. I presume this must have been tried by some locals, and obviously does not result in much success, but i find that so unusual, since surely there must be a lot of fish that recede with the tide as it drops off the flats and then they would hang around waiting for the flood to come back in a feed.
Or am i completely mistaken.
I've not yet actually taken a walk right out to the edge and still need to do that - is there much of a drop-off - i would have thought that there would be a fairly meaningful drop-off from the edge of the extreme low-water mark. I would image that would hold a fair number of flats fish species or possibly even some Bass?
Once i get my stuff out of the storage unit, i would also be quite keen to take a walk out there on the low tide with the drone, then i'd be able to fly out a bait 300/400 metres and drop into some properly deep water? What do you folks think i might connect with out there?
Looking forward to some guidance.
Gareth

Re: Dublin Bay ~ Booterstown to Blackrock - Lowtide dropoff

Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:21 pm

Apparently people have drowned over the years in that area - try and get out with a local who knows what they are at

Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:43 pm

I grew up in dollymount and have experience of that side. Ive fished many times at the extreme low water marks without much success I might add. I mainly came across more mullet than anything else. I also agree with the last post about the danger. At the time I knew all the sand banks and gullys and at which point to leave. ( which is a lot earlier than you think when you're out there) . Bear in mind the tide can rise over 4 meters in the bay and fills quickly with strong undercurrents and rips.
Personally I'd wait for the tide.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:55 pm

There actually is no drop off or depth of water north of Dun laoighaire. There will be fish there in the coming weeks, it’s a barren desert at the moment, a good few decent anglers have been fishing There adhering to the 2km from home rules either the odd bite the only report.

As the lads have previously said, the channels filling behind you are dangerous; plus if your gone beyond a channel you’ve gone too far - this is the place to be fishing as the flats & bass move into these on the flood.

Fresh lug the bait to use

Fri May 01, 2020 12:30 am

Dont know about blackrock drop off but have dug bait in other parts of dublin bay over the years and have on more than one occasion had bass and mullet coming in the channels with the tide as i retreated digging they are there alright feeding i guess on all the broken worms thrown out digging,shellfish broken open digging as well as the scraps left on flats while tide was out dog crap,bits bread,sea bird crap as well as there natural food sources.

Mon May 04, 2020 11:19 pm

Definetly worth a go on an incoming tide for bass and flats with worm baits or crab