LRF Equipment

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

LRF Equipment

Postby Deleted User 12130 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:59 pm

Hey Guys,
Hope ye are all healthy and safe,
Just wanted your opinion on a quick question.
I recently bought a 300m spool of Berkley Spiderwire braid of 28lb and .14mm diameter for rock fishing in the summer. I am after getting the lrf (light rock fishing) bug and am very interested and excited to give it a try during the summer. I have all the terminal tackle such as rod (7ft), reel (1000 size) and business end sorted but I am in two minds about the line. I have been reading that others are using braid as light as 8lb or even 3lb. Since I paid enough for the braid I currently have, do you guys think I would get away with the 28lb stuff or would it be complete overkill. The current braid I have is very light and soft so it wouldn't affect the movement of the lure and is not much thicker in diameter than braid of 8lb I have seen of .08mm and .10mm thickness.
Many thanks for your help and am open to suggestions or fishing tactics that work you,
Regards,
Colin
Deleted User 12130

Re: LRF Equipment

Postby ecleary » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:09 pm

If you're casting tiny lures at 2 - 5 grams then you'll need a very thin braid. I've used 6lb braid and you'd be amazed how far you cast a tiny jighead. The feel will be much more balanced and enjoyable too. You'll be able fight large fish too on this tackle but you'll need a net to land big fish; i've learned this from experience unfortunately.
ecleary
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 43 times

Postby Gonzo » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:18 pm

ecleary wrote:If you're casting tiny lures at 2 - 5 grams then you'll need a very thin braid. I've used 6lb braid and you'd be amazed how far you cast a tiny jighead. The feel will be much more balanced and enjoyable too. You'll be able fight large fish too on this tackle but you'll need a net to land big fish; i've learned this from experience unfortunately.

How big a fish are you talking? Like double digit pollack and bass?
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby ecleary » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:52 am

Gonzo wrote:How big a fish are you talking? Like double digit pollack and bass?

Unfortunately double digit pollack & bass in very short supply where I fish; but a 5-6lb pollock is a great fight on light tackle and net required if you have to lift it off a rock mark. Typically would be targeting smaller fish but odd time something bigger comes a long so need to be prepared.
ecleary
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 43 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum