Garryvoe Beach in April

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:14 pm

Hi all,
Will be staying in Garryvoe in April over Easter for a small getaway and I think I might be able to bring a rod or two! I've seen the beach in front of the caravan park before and I was just wondering is it any good at that time of the year?
Thanks in advance

Re: Garryvoe Beach in April

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:49 am

For openers all the Garryvoe beaches are best fished from dusk into darkness.
Sunset that weekend will be around 20:30 and high water on the Saturday is 21:00.
For a daytime cast you could try around the back of Ballycotton village for small pollack, ballan wrasse and maybe a silver one 8)

If you can get your hands on a bucket of crab Pilmore it worth a go, about a 20 min spin from Garryvoe. Fish the estuary out close to the front around low water should throw up a few fish. Big tides that weekend so you should get in about 2 hours fishing. Two other beaches to the west of Garryvoe, about a 15 min spin, Ballycroneen and Ballybrannigan could get some nice fishing there depending on the surf.

I should have a better idea on what's around before you get there as these are venues that I fish a bit.

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:46 pm

donal domeney wrote:For openers all the Garryvoe beaches are best fished from dusk into darkness.
Sunset that weekend will be around 20:30 and high water on the Saturday is 21:00.
For a daytime cast you could try around the back of Ballycotton village for small pollack, ballan wrasse and maybe a silver one 8)

If you can get your hands on a bucket of crab Pilmore it worth a go, about a 20 min spin from Garryvoe. Fish the estuary out close to the front around low water should throw up a few fish. Big tides that weekend so you should get in about 2 hours fishing. Two other beaches to the west of Garryvoe, about a 15 min spin, Ballycroneen and Ballybrannigan could get some nice fishing there depending on the surf.

I should have a better idea on what's around before you get there as these are venues that I fish a bit.

You have me spoilt Donal :lol:
Thanks a lot for that, I might only get 2 sessions in at the most but the idea of Ballycotton in daylight is quite probable!
I appreciate the help man

Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:36 am

Theres a beach in ballycotton?

Do you mean the shingles that they kayaks from? I gave up on that peir last year, everything seem to be of a small caliber. Would try a beach tho. Lovely place to spend a few hours.

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:05 am

Go Big or Go Home wrote:Theres a beach in ballycotton?

Do you mean the shingles that they kayaks from? I gave up on that peir last year, everything seem to be of a small caliber. Would try a beach tho. Lovely place to spend a few hours.

Stay to the right instead of going down to the pier. Before the car park there is a pathway down onto the rocks that can be fished in calm seas

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:14 pm

donal domeney wrote:
Go Big or Go Home wrote:Theres a beach in ballycotton?

Stay to the right instead of going down to the pier. Before the car park there is a pathway down onto the rocks that can be fished in calm seas

I know the pathway!, never even crossed my mind to venture down there.