Wicklow/Wexford

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Wicklow/Wexford

Postby Tiny Fin » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:45 pm

Hi all,

I am new to angling in 2019 so I am only now learning the target and expected species at different times of the year. Based in Arklow, I have had some really poor sessions on south beach and the pier but better luck further south (Courttown, Kiltennell).

Latest session was last week at Kiltennell where I fished the tide down from 7pm to 10pm. Fishing was decent but nothing too sizeable apart from a 30cm Whiting. Plenty of smaller whiting, couple of rocking and a single dab - all on Lug tipped with Mackerel.

Any advice or reports from anywhere along that shoreline for this time of year? I love getting out and want to maximise the chances with decent reports/tips?

Thanks all
Tiny Fin
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Wicklow/Wexford

Postby Dave F » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:30 pm

Sorry to hear Arklow isn't fishing well. I was hoping to pay it a visit soon as I've never had a terrible session there. What's showing up at the moment? I haven't been out since Christmas but found the fishing in general much harder going than last year, fished Kiltennel which is very reliable in the past and found it poor and fished Ballyhack with almost nothing to show for it. I haven't seen any decent codling where I caught them all along the coast last year. I'm hoping if we do have a cold snap that they'll show up and if they do they'll be along a lot of the coast. I also plan to hit up Newcastle or Killoughter which gave middling results but if you're as far south as Arklow already I'd consider heading further south towards South Wexford as your best bet right now.
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Re: Wicklow/Wexford

Postby Daz » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:54 pm

Fished Killoughter on 4th.usual east cost winter catch - with plenty dogs and whiting.also more than dozen flaunders and dabs - all small size though.few 5 bearded rockling.was surprised not caching a single codling because you could pick up one or two usually small sized around this time a year.
Daz
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 57 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum