Mutton Island / Memtwerge

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:14 am

Hi all,

I was wondering if fishing is allowed off the island or the long promenade leading out to it. It's just that anytime I see reference to angling in Salthill it's down round the Ladies Beach Area or the quay / groynes around it. I assume the water would be deeper towards the end of the promenade than it is down by Ladies Beach but maybe I'm wrong? Thanks in advance for any info.

Re: Mutton Island / Memtwerge

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:12 pm

You can but don't bother with Mutton Island - its incredibly shallow even on large tides.

I was told (by someone who knows Galway like the proverbial back of his hand) that the east of the island offers the best chance but mostly for dogfish with rays an option in season and smaller species like whiting.

There are decent tides in the next week and running into darkness (hope to be out myself), consider west from Salthill and lobbing some baits onto the sandbars at the mouth of Rusheen Bay, past the caravan park. People even get the odd bass there, which is of course not your target, this being part of the new closed season. Same as myself, I will be looking to catch whiting.

Tight lines and seasons greetings

K

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:34 pm

I have never heard the word memtwerge for the causeway at mutton island!

Kieran Its C+R only for bass Jan Feb and Dec - no closed season...https://www.offthescaleangling.ie/news/ ... Tbb0luQHKI

Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:26 am

Thanks for the replies Kieran and Corbyeire. I'm actually not going until June but just thought I'd do some early research.
Yeah, "The Memtwerge" sounds very strange but that's what it's labelled as on GEarth. I took a look on GEarth after I posted and Mutton Island does look shallow alright. Is the walkway out to it deeper though? I'd heard there were good huss to be caught in Summer and Autumn so I guess that's a target. You guys live in the city? Thanks again.

Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:29 pm

You would be better off trying the corner of the entrance to Galway Port. Deep, good current, sand, seen sand eels in the lee...

Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:16 am

Alright men. With the Covid and all that I'm only getting to Salthill next week. It'a for her birthday so won't be going too far. To be honest a couple of mack on the bbq and she'd be happy as larry. Any advice on where and when to get them?
I might be lucky and get a scratching session somewhere very close (we're not bringing a car). Ladies Beach, Mutton Island or the Promenade? Not looking for any secrets, it'll be a telescopic rod and a bank stick job with.

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:56 pm

The mac are in to some degree so the prom will be full of lead swingers - ladies beach will have you plagued with holiday makers
i would chance the causeway on mutton island - dont know about restrictions, i know they have definitely chased people off the island itself

ive heard that the slip and the front beaches in salthill have been very poor from a fella who knows every inch of them - at night in front of aquarium or at the slip could be ok - or further west past the diving boards at the back of the golf course -used to have a few dogs years ago

Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:03 pm

Is there anyone able to tell me how the slip way across from salthill hotel is fishing?