Live-bait (or dead-bait) Sliding

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Live-bait (or dead-bait) Sliding

Postby GKC0806 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:47 pm

Hi,
I will be new to Ireland rock & surf fishing, arriving back-end Dec'19 and my tackle only arriving Feb/March, but in interim am interested to find out whether anyone is trying/utilising slide-baiting with either live or deadbaits.
In South Africa we frequently make use of this practice in the surf (beaches) or preferentially at deep-water points, as it permits one to get a monster cast out (throw a 6-9oz sinker flat-out as hard as you can), into the deep, then clip on a pre-made slide trace (using a normal slide or non-return slide if there is heavy surf) baited with either a live-bait or a sizeable dead-bait. With us we would usually use a 200-250lbs carbon coated wire trace if angling for large non-edibles/sharks, or alternatively just a 50-80 flouro leader if fishing for edibles. From what I can see on you-tube and google earth imagery, Irelands coastline is ideally structured (raised high ground dropping quickly into deep water) in many places that would make sliding an optimal angling strategy! Just amazed that is doesn't seem to have caught on with you folks!
My thinking for Irish waters would be to clip on a live mackerel and slide him out >120m into the deep and then hang-on, but are there any decent predatory fish (besides congers) that will take a whole live mackerel or similar sized dead bait?
Are there any locations close to Dublin/Blackrock that would present ideal locations/marks to try this out?
thanks,
Gareth
GKC0806
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 11 times

Re: Live-bait (or dead-bait) Sliding

Postby Teegerstk » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:15 pm

I wouldn't be too clued in as regards to shore fishing for fish of that size, but if you haven't heard of Jack Shine then this article may interest you:
http://irish-trophy-fish.com/jack-shine ... ry-angler/

He caught numerous porbeagle sharks from the shore in the 60s.

On the east coast there are tope to be had from what I've read over time. I'm sure there are plenty of members on here that can give you great advice, Best of luck
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Postby pajo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:24 pm

Hello Gareth,

Welcome to the site and to Ireland. Interesting idea that. There was a post on here a few years ago about targeting porbeagle from the shore in likely areas with access to deep water close to the shore. What you have suggested sounds ideal for this. I'd also expect large skate and decent conger in those areas too (and f**k knows what else!) so it would certainly be worth a try. I can't find that post now. I think Kieran might have been on it.

I'm not aware of suitable marks on the east coast. I would imagine some of the steep rock marks on the west coast would be your best bet.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Pajo
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby cd07 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:32 pm

That was me planning to try for porbeagles off dursey. Never materialised unfortunately although I'm convinced given the time it would be possible. Gareth could you explain in detail the process involved with the sliding method? Cheers
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby GKC0806 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:27 pm

cd07 wrote:That was me planning to try for porbeagles off dursey. Never materialised unfortunately although I'm convinced given the time it would be possible. Gareth could you explain in detail the process involved with the sliding method? Cheers

For sliding we would typically be targeting large edible game fish or the large non-edibles - all manner of sharks and rays. We have a wide assortment that will stretch your arms and give you back-ache for days!
Generally speaking we are using 14-15ft high compression carbon fibre surf casting rods - usually with high-end level wind reels - Saltiga's etc, but with the massive improvement in technology and brake/disc and gear design, there are some incredible high-capacity, super-powerful grinders on the market that will carry 600m of 50-80lbs braid. There's some argument over which line works better for sliding, some will argue mono and others braid. Choose your poison. Then you basically identify a likely looking deepwater spot, hole or reef, tie on a 6-9oz sinker (wire grapnel if over sandy bottom), and give it the mother of all casts to the horizon - correct - just the sinker. (you would have attached a solid welded ring (about 1cm diameter) about 1-2m above the sinker). I'll explain and try send a diagram. Then you would take a separately made up trace - usually a combination of heavy flouro connected to a significant bite trace (wire if you are intentionally going after the toothy critters), ending with one or two substantial hooks - typically size 7-10 Extra-Heavy circles. Most of the top brands are excellent quality these days. This slide trace is usually about 2-3m long with the hooks on the terminal end, and a special springsteel wire slide (just google "non-return slide clip" to see images and examples of rigging).
You would either then attach your dead-bait, say a fishhead, nice and juicily wrapped up with cotton of some oily fishguts etc, or alternativey a fresh and lively live-bait. You attach the slide clip to your mainline (lower the rod to do this) and then once correctly connected, you raise the rod as high as possible and begin a series of slow upward and downward movements of the rod. It obviously helps if you are angling off some high ground where gravity assists greatly, but generally speaking, the continuous up/down movements of the rod - generally do this at least 100 times - will result in the slide shifting down the line, to the point where eventually the slide clip runs up against the ring above the sinker.
From what I have watched on youtube, some of your beaches look fantastic for sliding live baits for large bass out past the backline. We have a similar fish here - Kabeljou (the aussies also have a similar species), which also actively hunts for mullet in the surf - so i'm hoping to give that a couple of tries once all my kit arrives.
GKC0806
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby Thompst111 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:32 pm

Love the idea and would defo give it a go. The only problem is that the likes of blue or porbeagles which you can defo catch from shore on cork Kerry Clare coasts during the summer is that they would take a floating bait, with that method would you bait not me on the ground?? I fished the north side of cod head last year for the first time and was easily casting into 100+ feet of water would of been great to try for shark but couldn't catch mackeral last year very hard maybe got 6/7 perfect amount for some nice congers.
Thompst111
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby Thompst111 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:33 pm

Correction it was crow head
Thompst111
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby cd07 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:43 pm

Reckon we'd pick up porbeagles down deep they feed on Pollack which are usually deep
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum