New to sea angling

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

New to sea angling

Postby Danok » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:35 pm

Hi Guys,

Im pretty much brand new to sea angling mostly because I usually fish lakes for pike and trout. The season for that is over anyway and I have been reading that cod and whiting are around this time of year?

Does this mean that bait such as lugworm will catch these as they are sitting deeper in the water rather than lures? Excuse my knowledge on sea fishing, Im finding it very hard to find reputable information for fishing on the east coast of ireland :lol:

Or what are you guys using/doing to have a successful day out? I understand fishing at different tide times may be beneficial?

Thanks for your help :)

For this message the author Danok has received thanks:
Tiny Fin (Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:07 pm)
Danok
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: New to sea angling

Postby kieran » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:19 am

use the search facility to look at reports from different marks / locations where you will want to try .... also strongly recommend that you join a local sea angling club. Great advice, bit of banter, people to fish with... and you will learn loads.
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Tiny Fin » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:14 pm

I am also generally new to angling on the east coast (Wicklow/Wexford) since the summer of 2019. I find lug works best for generally all species but unless digging yourself it can be hard got, certainly in any Arklow bait shops. Rag worm generally works and tipped with Mackerel or squid (as fresh as possible) is not likely to go wrong.

I find at the moment that there are plenty of whiting and coddling around but very small in size. As I said, I am still new and also looking for tips and half decent marks from the experienced anglers on here.

I hope this helps and happy fishing!
Tiny Fin
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Inishowenrocker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:20 pm

Lures are a moving bait/lure wereas bait are static bait will give of sent trail attracting fish wereas a lure needs to be passing by a fish. I general cod n Whitting wouldn't really take a spinner or lure more static dead bait like lug. Mackeral strips for Whitting. There are loads a stuff on Google or search on fb for a local page for more help
Keep her tight n bent over. :lol:
Inishowenrocker
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby mark1985 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:39 pm

Danok wrote:Hi Guys,

Im pretty much brand new to sea angling mostly because I usually fish lakes for pike and trout. The season for that is over anyway and I have been reading that cod and whiting are around this time of year?

Does this mean that bait such as lugworm will catch these as they are sitting deeper in the water rather than lures? Excuse my knowledge on sea fishing, Im finding it very hard to find reputable information for fishing on the east coast of ireland :lol:

Or what are you guys using/doing to have a successful day out? I understand fishing at different tide times may be beneficial?

Hi Danok,

Very similar to yourself, im a firm coarse man but want to give the sea fishing a bit more time, been a few time before on the west coast catching wrasse but live in Dublin so looking to try here. Have you managed to get out since the post and any tips on spots and tackle advice?
mark1985
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:47 pm

Join a club or two,best advice anyone can give
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby kenf41 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:53 pm

Hi all.
I know there's not much about at this time of year. I've been looking at rock Mark's from balbriggan to donabate and was wondering does anyone have experience along this stretch. 2 spots in particular look interesting. 1 north of balbriggan and one north of rogerstown. I've never fished there so was just wondering

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
kenf41
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 90 times

Postby kenf41 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:00 pm

Posted in the wrong place

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
kenf41
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 90 times

Postby Teegerstk » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:01 pm

mark1985 wrote:

Hi Danok,

Very similar to yourself, im a firm coarse man but want to give the sea fishing a bit more time, been a few time before on the west coast catching wrasse but live in Dublin so looking to try here. Have you managed to get out since the post and any tips on spots and tackle advice?

Hey, I've never fished Dublin although I've heard of people fishing in the laytown/bettystown area (bit of a distance from dublin city but worth mentioning?) and at Killiney beach to the south. Feel free to pm me about tackle and such.
Check this link out, a shore guide for Dublin made by kieran years ago: https://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/sho ... dublin.htm
Best of luck
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Postby mark1985 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:21 pm

Teegerstk wrote:
mark1985 wrote:

Hi Danok,

Hey, I've never fished Dublin although I've heard of people fishing in the laytown/bettystown area (bit of a distance from dublin city but worth mentioning?) and at Killiney beach to the south. Feel free to pm me about tackle and such.
Check this link out, a shore guide for Dublin made by kieran years ago: https://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/sho ... dublin.htm
Best of luck

Thanks, that guide is fantastic,
mark1985
SAI Lug Worm

Postby kieran » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:21 pm

that guide is 20 years old... so accept things will have changed. There are also marks that have come back into fashion for example at the Pigeon House hot water outflows on the south Docks... which i I dont think are covered there...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Danok » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:11 am

mark1985 wrote:

Hi Danok,

Hi, sorry I havnt been replying since the first post!
I have found that information is very hard to get on which fish are where and times of year etc.
I have been out twice since, only catching whiting and pouting. I used lrf once and got nothing on that rod.

It seems to be trial and error, I'm going to head out and make my way down the coast recording the baits and fish I get for future reference. I've found that a lot of people will actually steer you wrong for fear of their fishing spots being taken :cry:

So it is very much up to ourselves to find out where which species are and at what times or year etc.

Have you had much luck?
Danok
SAI Lug Worm

Postby cd07 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:20 pm

What part of the country are you in?
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby Danok » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:33 pm

cd07 wrote:What part of the country are you in?

Dublin, I will be working my way towards Wicklow first and logging all my finds.
Danok
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Gonzo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:01 am

I'm also new to sea angling (kind of), I'm starting off by trying to catch bass off the beach in Rush for the moment, good luck to you!
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby Alek » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:13 am

kieran wrote:the Pigeon House hot water outflows on the south Docks

I'm trying to locate this on Google Satellite, but there seems to be no public access near the actual outflow... ?
Alek
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum