Switch to full style
Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.
Post a reply

Newcomer to beachcasting

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:58 pm

Hello all.. looking to give beachfishing a go this winter.. already getting the blues from summer fishing.. any tips for rod/reel combo, lines , i know very little about it although im an accomplished boat angler/freshwater angler.. im in nw donegal so should be some good spots here..
Thanks

Re: Newcomer to beachcasting

Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:39 am

What would your budget be for your rod and reel? Generally I used 15-19lb mainline with a 60lb shockleader at the end.

Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:39 pm

Around 150 for rod and reel.. would a fixed spool be the best to start off with?? I do have a daiwa slosh but i use it as a boat reel and has braid on it..
Thanks

Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:29 pm

MartinC wrote:Around 150 for rod and reel.. would a fixed spool be the best to start off with?? I do have a daiwa slosh but i use it as a boat reel and has braid on it..
Thanks

Yes, fixed spool is easier to cast for a newcomer. You can use multiplier reels but it takes an additional level of skill.
Spend some time learning how to use the different casting techniques, don;t try to pendulum cast straight away! Usually casts beyond the fish anyhow...

Hope to get out myself this weekend. GL

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:39 am

What part of Donegal are you in?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:39 am

keymcg wrote:What part of Donegal are you in?

Im in dunfanaghy..

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Joining a club is a great way to get local info and general advice and tips. I know there's a club in Culdaff.
I was going to suggest the Mariners as they fish a few times a month but that is a long way from you.

Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:51 am

get a copy of this months sea angler- John Holden gives advice on fixed spool rod and reel purchase which should come in around the price you are willing to spend. it has a boat section too! 10lb. mono or 0.30mm on a fixed spool will handle clean ground fishing with ease and give a little extra distance over 15lb. or 0.35mm. you can try braid on a spare spool if you get one- i would forget about the multiplier/ braid set up... i have seen Donal Domeney's thumb when things go wrong!

Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Thanks for all the replies and messages lads.. very helpful.. hopefully get a day out shortly..

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:32 pm

+1 to joining a club. Did it towards the end of this summer and picked up alot after only 2 club competitions. So much so that I may join another club next year aswell to see how they do it.

If your dont have the tackle madness.Check out the Shakespeare omni 13ft foot its about 70euro.
Post a reply