Fanore

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Fanore

Postby ardinn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:13 am

So im looking at blending a week away with fishing in clare and lisdoon :D

Looking at fanore, seems to be good spinning for pollock, good beaches for bass, and I want to do some fly fishing from the coast too and its central to all to keep herself and me happy..

Anyone any info on the area, where to head to, info on marks etc, pm if you prefer.

Ill be heading mid september.

All info greatly appreciated
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 110 times

Re: Fanore

Postby stevecrow74 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:51 am

Fanore fishes best in the evening and after dark for bait fishing on the beaches for bass, through the day you’ll get flatties and weaver! The far right of the beach is best if you can get through the stream.

Spinning off the rocks to the left through the day produced the odd sea trout and bass(haven’t seen pollock caught there) best place is to go left walk past the main beach as around the corner, you’ll see a small beach and then more rock platforms, spinning form that beach and rocks will produce good bass and fly fishing from the platforms over low tide will see a fish or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]

For this message the author stevecrow74 has received thanks:
ardinn (Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:37 pm)
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Fanore

Postby kieran » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:47 pm

Fanore is also one of the few beaches in Clare that has produced sting rays, specifically a 57 lber monster which took a bass bait in near darkness in late summer. It was the Irish record for a while. Some years ago... still they apparently go like stink straight out to sea. :shock:

There are some rough ground marks around Doolin. Try the rocks immediate north of the quay - bit of a hike, dodgy enough spot, big swells. I have a vague memory of being told to get the point and cast back towards the island. Very rough and very deep. There are also good rocks marks due west of Ballyrean. The best route down was to a small car park at Pollnacloiche and you walked straight out on the same line. Again, dodgy spot, big swells, and best to fish them on a dropping tide to be safer...

For this message the author kieran has received thanks:
ardinn (Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:37 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum