Switch to full style
Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.
Post a reply

Ragworm

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:48 pm

Hi everyone
Wondering what is the best way to keep king ragworm at home and how many day will they keep.
Thanks in advance

Re: Ragworm

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:54 pm

put them in trays and add fresh sea water but don't totally cover them keep the sea water in the same fridge as them change the water on them every 3 or 4 days discarding any ones that look like they are going off they should last up to 2 weeks

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:56 pm

forgot to mention don't overcrowd them in the trays

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:09 pm

Try your local shop and see do they sell the Haribo sweets loose the containers are the job. When they stack there is enough space between them to give the bait space to move around in.
hadibo.jpg
hadibo.jpg (50.75 KiB) Viewed 532 times

With a good bit of management you could keep the rag for weeks. I usually change the water every third day. The lug need a bit more care. Any lug that do not feel firm to touch dump it out
I have the fridge set at 4
rag.jpg
rag.jpg (70.29 KiB) Viewed 532 times

lug.jpg
lug.jpg (75.52 KiB) Viewed 532 times

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:06 pm

Thanks lads. One problem if i put them in the fridge we'll all be living outside.
Any suggestions?

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:07 am

Kitty litter trays are best will a small drop of sea water not to fully cover them tho change the water every 2 days keep them in fridge if you can these will keep upto a week or more no problem

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:09 pm

Thanks.
Ive to keep them 2 days before i go fishing so hopefully they last that long.
I have been thinking about the leftovers.
I hear they dont freeze well so i was considering making up some combos and freezing them.
What should i try?
Crab-rag is the main one i use what else is good?
I have mackerel squid sandeel razor

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:00 am

I put them in squid sandwiches with mussels and they work well, you can ad mack aswell - anything really. Big squid needed tho, I freeze then cut down the middle and in half for nice chunks, wrap well in elastic.

Dont last long like that but are very good - For longer lasting just cut in half, can be big though! The squid is nice and tough and can take a good hammerinig from crabs.
Post a reply