Moonlight affecting results of fishing by night?

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Moonlight affecting results of fishing by night?

Postby Teegerstk » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Hi all,
Couldn't sleep last night so I decided to walk down to the local pier with some basic gear for a few hours of the flood. The moon was a waxing gibbous and was very bright, I cast a shadow as I was walking down. There was absolutely no wind whatsoever and it was completely silent when I started fishing, aside from the various night creatures mucking about in the woods by the pier, quite relaxing yet I was on edge :lol: . For the first 2 hours there wasn't a tap, apart from crabs stripping my baits. As dawn started to creep in eventually a few taps on both rods produced a dogfish and a decent flounder in quick succession, just after moonset I noticed, which made me think. Does anyone find that moonlight can affect night fishing? Or is it a well known fact and I'm just dumb? :lol:
Thanks in advance
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: Moonlight affecting results of fishing by night?

Postby kieran » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:46 pm

You're spot on - the ideal time to fish is after sunset and before moonrise or the opposite... find that especially true on evening flooding tides.

For this message the author kieran has received thanks:
Teegerstk (Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:17 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Moonlight affecting results of fishing by night?

Postby johnwest » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Have a look at this,http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarcalendar.aspx
There was a lengthy thread on here a few years ago, possibly before you joined, about particularly bass fishing related to lunar cycles.
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.

For this message the author johnwest has received thanks:
Teegerstk (Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:27 pm)
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum