advice needed on marks to get nephew into fishing

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

advice needed on marks to get nephew into fishing

Postby LLOYDKELLY » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:25 pm

hello guys, i have a young nephew who is very eager to get out fishing, just wondering if anyone could reccomend any shore marks in the dublin, wicklow or wexford area that he might be in with a chance of a fish. i don't want your "special" marks just a general area where he could maybe pick up a mackrel or some small fish. i've mainly been fishing enereilly and the wicklow pier lately but we all know what enereilly can be like at the best of times..
LLOYDKELLY
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: advice needed on marks to get nephew into fishing

Postby kieran » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:20 am

Hi

Think the harbours would be your best bet - Dun Laoghaire or Howth have good deep water marks, you can bait fish for small wrasse, congers, flats on the sand and the option of mackerel and garsfish as the summer progresses. Relatively safe and sheltered. Easy to get to on the DART, don't even need to bring the car? Nice day out...

HTH

For this message the author kieran has received thanks:
Teegerstk (Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:44 am)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby mickser » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:12 pm

mackerel in Dun Laoghaire at the moment
I have not fished in two years hoping to change that this year with anything ?
mickser
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 175 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby keitho » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:23 pm

mickser wrote:mackerel in Dun Laoghaire at the moment

How much does the tide matter when fishing in Dun Laoghaire? Do you need to fish close to the high tide or can you catch the at any time?
keitho
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Dave F » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:36 pm

Wicklow pier with a bit of rag or lures or feathers for mackerel is really hard to beat for near guaranteed sport. Never caught anything much big there but never left without a smile on my face, and some class fun fishing the west pier close to the base of it for wrasse and pollack near the rocks. Again, nothing big, but lots of sport and that's the best way to get anyone interested.

For this message the author Dave F has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:31 pm), donal domeney (Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:44 am)
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby kieran » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:04 am

keitho wrote:

How much does the tide matter when fishing in Dun Laoghaire? Do you need to fish close to the high tide or can you catch the at any time?

As a general rule, you should fish the incoming tide as this brings species like mackerel closer inshore, even right onto the rocks and against the harbour walls. It is especially good if it coincides with the evening, when light levels are dropping. The good news however about deep water harbours is that fish will often take up residence there, so you can catch them at any time during the tide. This is not true of every species, but you will find flatfish, wrasse, scorpionfish, smaller pollack and coalfish, You will also find that the slightly warmer waters in big harbours attract species like mackerel during the late autumn and winter, keeping them there when they have left from offshore.

HTH
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Thompst111 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:01 pm

Balinoulart, morriscastle, in Wexford for bass. Wicklow you have arklow south can catch anything there. Clogga beach and ennerielly. Courtown old bawn. All good bait beaches for a good variety of bass flatties and smoothie. As said above for spinning around piers harbours and around rocks always good
Thompst111
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby keitho » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:52 pm

kieran wrote:
keitho wrote:

As a general rule, you should fish the incoming tide as this brings species like mackerel closer inshore, even right onto the rocks and against the harbour walls. It is especially good if it coincides with the evening, when light levels are dropping. The good news however about deep water harbours is that fish will often take up residence there, so you can catch them at any time during the tide. This is not true of every species, but you will find flatfish, wrasse, scorpionfish, smaller pollack and coalfish, You will also find that the slightly warmer waters in big harbours attract species like mackerel during the late autumn and winter, keeping them there when they have left from offshore.

HTH

Aha. Good stuff. I dropped out to Dun Laoghaire today, a couple of hours before High Tide. There was 4 or 5 lads fishing, but nothing caught in the hour and a half I spent there.
keitho
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Balsafloat10 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:24 pm

Hi...
Fished Dun Laoghaire last week. Had plenty of doggies to rag but I think what might be best for your nephew is the chance to catch small Pollack. Lots were rising at dusk and can be caught with sibikis or even better small lures. Good fun chasing the splashes. It does help when sea is calm so I wouldn't an this otherwise.
Only a couple of macks seen when i was down recently
Good luck.

For this message the author Balsafloat10 has received thanks:
donal domeney (Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:34 am)
Balsafloat10
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby keithelliott » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:36 pm

One way of gettin fish at dun laioghrie is gettin some lrf gear and just dropping straight down, isome worms are brilliant for it,
keithelliott
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 5 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum