Switch to full style
Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.
Post a reply

Grip leads vs watch leads

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:49 pm

Hi guys, just wondering when flattie fishing is there any benefit of using watch leads or bombs instead of the more conventional grip lead? I was using the watch leads off a wee beach on the flood tide and the line kept going slack, so is it a case of just winding in for a bit until it tightens again? When I left it with the slack line bite detection became trickier, so is it worth using them?
Cheers :)

Re: Grip leads vs watch leads

Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:16 pm

try not to use grips when fishing for flats unless the sea is rough and you keep getting spat up on the beach - try to allow as much movement to your rig as possilbe - generally go light as you can without ending up on beach

Re: Grip leads vs watch leads

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:52 pm

My opinion, Watch leads are best suited to drifting on a boat where the hole in the lead throws up a plume of sand attracting fish.

For holding bottom on calm beaches try a breakaway flattie leads or just buy some teardrop leads or cannonball leads and flatten them with a hammer same effect for half the price. You could also try pyramid lead.
A round or oval lead will roll around until it will find a small gully to rest in often this is where the fish are lying.
Post a reply