cockle lake

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

cockle lake

Postby padraig » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:12 am

Howdy lads,

Am planning a couple of beginner trips now. Thanks to those giving me tips re: Kiliney and Greystones, rather than heading to Killoughter.
I am also planning to try and improve my casting and play around a bit near cockle lake. I have tried to guess via Google Earth, where cockle lake is (thanks to RodTips for the tip to use Google Earth)
The image below shows in red where i think the flood comes in. Now I am thinking that the areas/spots marked in blue yellow and green might be worth targeting.

If aiming for the blue spot, there is 350m from shore.
Yellow is 180m
Green is 150m

I was thinking, it might be very hard to get out to that channel from the rocks at the green point. Whereas I could fish an incoming tide, walk back towards shore from the blue, and perhaps stroll down to the yellow spot as the area floods more.

What do you lads think? Does this make sense?

padraig
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 14 times

Re: cockle lake

Postby Rod Tips » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:50 pm

Certainly looks like you are approaching it in the right way padraig. That area was brimming with fish, but years ago unfortunately. There are smoothound being caught from Poolbeg lighthouse, fishing that side. It's fairly shallow there if I remember? You'll need your waders though, especially for that blue mark. But one would expect to catch fish on the ebb, fishing into the channels / gullies that you have marked. I fished Poolbeg lighthouse about 5 weeks ago, (Blank) and I did notice that the terns were picking the Spratt from the surf on the ebb. But I've always expected that you would need chest waders just to get the distance as its very shallow in that area. But you should give it a bash, you've already done your research?
You've given me the urge to get out myself, think I will try Poolbeg one more time, collected some crab and lug this morning and I have some very smelly squid and black lug wraps that have been thawed re-frozen, thawed and re-frozen again. Sure why not?
The very best of luck with your endeavors, let us know how you got on?
Tight Lines
Rod Tips

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk
Rod Tips
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 98 times

Postby alby » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi Padraig,

Blue & Yellow a bit of a waste of time TBH. The Green Mark you’re spot on though. Just one point, fish off the rocks under the nature park - there's a lovely stream that comes along here and that's what you want to be fishing in. The cockle lake runs in there along Irishtown nature park and a short cast puts you into fish. Don't cross that river on an incoming tide because the only way out is helicopter (and with the frequency I see it buzzing over the strand, plenty of people are caught out). There can be good flounders off it (especially this time of the year), and more bass than people give it credit for, but it’s a one in five trip kind of strike rate. Again a good time of year for these. 2 hours after low water when the tide starts filling sandymount strand is the time to be fishing up to an hour before high water.

Another option is to fish the actual lake itself for the first 2/3 hours of the flood. It can be choked with week but does hold the odd decent fish.

For both spots the best access is to park under the ESB Towers and walk directly out to the mouth of the cockle lake, or up the pathway of the Irishtown nature park for the Green mark.

Lug, rag & peeler would be the bait of choice, tipping a worm off with a crab leg/claw is very effective. I was over there this morning and there is a bit of weed in the bay, so bear that in mind. If ye need any more pointers on the area – drop me a PM and I’ll give you a buzz.

For this message the author alby has received thanks: 3
donal domeney (Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:35 pm), pajo (Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:29 pm), Rod Tips (Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:35 pm)
alby
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 215 times

Postby Rod Tips » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:38 pm

alby wrote:Hi Padraig,

Blue & Yellow a bit of a waste of time TBH. The Green Mark you’re spot on though. Just one point, fish off the rocks under the nature park - there's a lovely stream that comes along here and that's what you want to be fishing in. The cockle lake runs in there along Irishtown nature park and a short cast puts you into fish. Don't cross that river on an incoming tide because the only way out is helicopter (and with the frequency I see it buzzing over the strand, plenty of people are caught out). There can be good flounders off it (especially this time of the year), and more bass than people give it credit for, but it’s a one in five trip kind of strike rate. Again a good time of year for these. 2 hours after low water when the tide starts filling sandymount strand is the time to be fishing up to an hour before high water.

Another option is to fish the actual lake itself for the first 2/3 hours of the flood. It can be choked with week but does hold the odd decent fish.

For both spots the best access is to park under the ESB Towers and walk directly out to the mouth of the cockle lake, or up the pathway of the Irishtown nature park for the Green mark.

Lug, rag & peeler would be the bait of choice, tipping a worm off with a crab leg/claw is very effective. I was over there this morning and there is a bit of weed in the bay, so bear that in mind. If ye need any more pointers on the area – drop me a PM and I’ll give you a buzz.
Priceless information alby, thanks for this, going straight into my fishing journal. And yes, the weed is bad alright, I fished there Monday evening, pretty heavy for fishing.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk
Rod Tips
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 98 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum