Access to the Baily Lighthouse, Howth

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Access to the Baily Lighthouse, Howth

Postby Rod Tips » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi everyone. I was wondering have any of you fished the rock marks around the Baily Lighthouse in recent times.?
I did fish there years ago with great success. However it appears that the Commissioners for Irish Lighthouses have signage in place regarding health and safety and trespassing, but I am curious as to whether (a) one could request permission from C.I.L.?, or (b) is it possible to ignore the signage and "sneak" down there? Some excellent deep water access there and it has produced good fishing for me in the past (20 years ago).
I would really love to spend an all nighter there........ Ahhhhh memories
Thanks in advance
Rod Tips

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk
Rod Tips
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 98 times

Re: Access to the Baily Lighthouse, Howth

Postby DAMIEN » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Sorry about the late reply,but i used fish here regulary about 10years ago handy mark not been down in about a year or 2 now,i was shockes by what a few nice marks have turned to pretty much same as balscadden litter beer cans used bbq bottles a safd sight really pretty much most marks along cliff path have met same faith

For this message the author DAMIEN has received thanks:
Rod Tips (Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:01 pm)
DAMIEN
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 20 times

Re: Access to the Baily Lighthouse, Howth

Postby Rod Tips » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:14 pm

DAMIEN wrote:Sorry about the late reply,but i used fish here regulary about 10years ago handy mark not been down in about a year or 2 now,i was shockes by what a few nice marks have turned to pretty much same as balscadden litter beer cans used bbq bottles a safd sight really pretty much most marks along cliff path have met same faith
Thanks DAMIEN, never too late for replies in my opinion. I have to agree with you, the fishing is pretty scarce around the area, as I have fished pretty much all of Howth this year, on a quest to try and disprove that there are no fish LOL. I did catch a smoothound from the Telegraph Pole near Red Rock Beach, and a small pin whiting last night from the Harbour. The once pristine conditions in the area have fallen foul to people littering and drinking. That said, I still feel that something of significance can be had, the Baily Lighthouse is out of bounds regarding access, but there are other marks around which should throw up some decent fishing, it's trying to figure out how to access them that's the problem. I have had great information and help from members here on the forum, (mickser, keem, to mention a few). It's mind boggling that we can't get some decent sessions here? There are excellent baits to collect in the locality, so why no fish? Can't blame it all on commercial fisheries or the seals.
It's been a goal of mine this year to catch something of significance in the area, so I will persevere.
I have caught nice fish and various species this year, but all on the south coast or southeast ( where angling is best in my opinion), I could go over to Dun Laoire or Dalkey or even Killiney, but I still believe ( maybe foolishly) that I will catch something that's worthy of posting on here, so I will keep going until New years eve.
Thanks very much for the reply
Cheers
Rod Tips

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

For this message the author Rod Tips has received thanks: 4
chuckaroo (Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:54 pm), corbyeire (Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:26 pm), DAMIEN (Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:53 pm), mickser (Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:50 am)
Rod Tips
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 98 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum