Switch to full style
Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.
Post a reply

Smoothhounds?

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Just wondering if there are many Smoothhounds been caught. Never caught one and I'm contemplating planning a season to target them. No chance of catching them here on the west coast

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Re: Smoothhounds?

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:55 pm

werent too many caught down at the masters in wicklow/wexford - but then most lads werent targetting them
get ragworm and fresh crab and get onto the north wexford beaches a couple of hours before dusk - a good starting point

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Some being caught in Dublin. If you're travelling over target the bigger tides and fish high water dusk into darkness if possible although you can target them in daylight too.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:39 am

Heard of some caught very recently around Wexford.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:33 am

Had a few small ones at poolbeg last Thursday night just before high water. Only had frozen squid for bait, no peelers available. I’m sure I would have had a few more if using crab.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Just to add on to my last post, was in the Waterford Estuary last night fishing and the lad down from me caught a smoothie. about 4-5lbs. On frozen peeler. How effective do people find squid for smoothies in general? I'm heading out again tonight and i cant get any more peeler. only have squid and the usual.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:46 pm

Fresh or frozen peeler works best on our shores

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:45 am

ste c wrote:Fresh or frozen peeler works best on our shores

Yeah, just found that out tonight. Used squid and blanked! Will be making a crab order tomorrow...
Post a reply