Time of year to fish?

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Time of year to fish?

Postby FlyFisher » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:19 am

Posted this in the SWFF section also but noticed that it's not very active (last post was nearly a year ago).

New to SWFF - just wondering what time of year I can expect to head out to a few marks along the east coast and have a chance at catching something.

My goal for this year is to catch my first bass and first mullet - both on the fly preferably.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated!
FlyFisher
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Time of year to fish?

Postby Chris T » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:57 am

Hi, unfortunately you won’t get too many answers on this site as a lot of people are super suspicious and not willing to share anything unless you’re in their ‘click’.Thankfully there are a few genuine guys who are willing to help and thanks to them for their help through my time on the site.

I’d say your best bet would be summer time and rocky marks , never had bass on fly or spinner just bait but I know rocky marks are best. The further south you go the better. Have a look at the bye-laws on the cob site before you go though as these have changed in recent years!

Mullet on the fly will be tricky I think!!
Chris T
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 33 times

Postby Flounder123 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:36 pm

Early in the season I find that bass tend to gather around rocky marks and later on in the summer and autumn they start to turn up around surf beaches. They seem more willing to take flies and lures in warmer weather.
Flounder123
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby MAC » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 am

probably July onwards for Bass. Mullet will make an appearance in June. You need to fish places where people sometime throw bread for the birds. In these Areas the mullet will be used to taking bread and a bread fly might work..... They will drive you mad :)

For Bass on the fly, have a serious think about any rock mark west or Tramore in Waterford (Copper Coast) you will up your chances significantly and with the motorway it just over 2 hours from Dublin
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum