Switch to full style
Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.
Post a reply

Cod fishing Monkstown advice

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi everyone, I got a couple of weeks left staying in Carrigaline and I’m still trying to get some cods of The Wall. For now I only fished the wooden pier in front of the pub by night (every moment of the tide). I only got 2 small codlings (20-30cm) and a few small withings. I’m using fresh peelers and frozen razor fish on a pulley rig with a 3/0 Pennell hook and a 200g heavy grip lead. Even with this lead the rig is carried away when the tide is coming in or out. So here are my question : Does people getting cod of the wall this month ? Am I doing right with my baits and rig ? Should I try the grassy path mark or the mark near the tunnel by daylight for better results ?

Re: Cod fishing Monkstown advice

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:52 pm

A total waste of time looking for cod down there. If they were there I'd be catching them 8)

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 pm

:mrgreen: ok, so you fish monks town a lot ? well if you catch any in the next couples of week just let me know :) meanwhile I might focus on east Cork beaches hopping for better luck :D

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:02 pm

As said a waste of time in monkstown for cod its nothing like it used to be

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:00 pm

I have fished there the last few weeks all whiting and a few small codling, very poor

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:36 am

Hi all you lads that fish Monkstown I am planning a trip down to it during 2018 but can not decide which tides are best for the cod fishing.I am thinking that low neap tides are best like the ones from the 8th to the 14th of January and similar tides during the year would be the best tides to have any chance of getting at least some cod.So any of you regular Monkstown cod fishermen could you please try to fish these dates and let me know if my theory on the slack tides is right . A PM or open post will let me know
when I will venture down to fish for cod in Monkstown love you all and a very Codperous new year
mickser

Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:54 pm

Mickser your wasting your time going near monkstown the fishing there is desperate in the past few years if your after cod hit the river up in waterford

Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:31 pm

ste c wrote:Mickser your wasting your time going near monkstown the fishing there is desperate in the past few years if your after cod hit the river up in waterford

As said a total waste of time at the moment :( . If they do show up I'll post about it.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Gave it an hour this morning around high water full of small whiting only

Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:49 pm

so, no more cod in Monkstown? where do we go then?

Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:50 pm

Youghal or waterford

Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:09 pm

Any showing yet?

Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:55 pm

Back in the time when cod were caught in Monkstown I would wait till the October weekend before having a cast.
Do a search under " South coast cod" there is plenty of reading there.
A bit scattered with links to other posts but enough reading to keep you going until
they show.

Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:38 pm

It's getting colder by the day. Are they in yet?

Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:33 pm

alefeb wrote:It's getting colder by the day. Are they in yet?

There are some being caught around Youghal Green park and Carpet pier but not in any great numbers, been absolutely years since I seen or heard of lads catching cod or codling in Monkstown , I think them days are gone .

Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:37 am

That's such a pity...

Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:44 am

Carpet pier, can you drive onto it? Is it tidal?
And Green park - is it the beach right next to it?
Sorry to be asking all this, I've never fished there...
Thank you
Post a reply